• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

242 Transfer case in all A1 and A2s?

erasedhammer

I saw on a 3l80 to 4l80e swap writeup and someone said that only A0s have the 218 transfer case. The document also said that if you have a A1 or A2 humvee you already have the 218.

I'm probably going to do the swap eventually but right now I'm just compiling a parts list and their prices, so it would cut down considerably on the cost if I didn't need to replace the transfer case.

I have a M998A1 1994 vehicle, so do all A1s have the 242?

And if I do have a 242 transfer case, I saw somewhere that the 242 with the 3 speed transmission has a 3 bolt config vs the 4l80 which is a 4 bolt config, so would I have to replace that 242 anyways?

Last edited:

Action

the 3 or 4 bolt is on the rear output cone of the transfer case. it has nothing to do with the transmission.
just crawl under your humvee and look at the back of the transfer case for a round tag with red outline. the model will be at the top.

erasedhammer

the 3 or 4 bolt is on the rear output cone of the transfer case. it has nothing to do with the transmission.
just crawl under your humvee and look at the back of the transfer case for a round tag with red outline. the model will be at the top.
Yeah, I have a 242.
On a unrelated note, do you know if the 4l80 shifter will plug into a 3l80 6.2 hmmwv? I ask because I could install the shifter then later its one less thing to install.

Action

just remove your shifter and install some rivnuts, then put it back. It will be easier to replace it later.
As dilvoy stated, you can use a PARK shifter, but the indicator will not line up when you shift the trans. It may also slip into something else.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks