• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

24V Alternator for the 6.2

Gunfreak25

Is there is a 24V alternator that will bolt right onto the 6.2 motor, on the right head? This is not a CUCV, the 6.2 motor is going in my GMC which is 100% 24V from the headlights, gauges, sending units and everything else inbetween. I have a large converter to keep the 6.2 glowplugs 12v of course. My easiest and cheapest route is to simply bolt on a 24V alternator.

It seems the M1010's had 24V alternators on them. Will one off a M1010 fit any Military 6.2 bracket?

Again, not a CUCV here. But you guys are the 6.2 experts of the board. :beer:

Chief_919

There are 24v units in the same Delco case as the stock 12v units. Any parts store should be able to get them, I think NAPA lists them under agricultural units.

Gunfreak25

NAPA is awful spendy. You mentioned agricultural, I ran across this earlier. Seems a lot of John Deer stuff is 24V. Would this bolt on without any troubles? Worse comes to worst I can just pickup any alternator and I suppose I could fab up a simple bracket. But if I can find a bolt on why the heck not.

Amazon.com: New 24V 50 Amp 10SI Self Exciting Alternator with One Wire Hookup, Universal / Tractor Applications 10459509: Automotive

http://www.amazon.com/Delco-1-Wire-alternator-mountings-mounting/dp/B004SOZK86

Looks like there are a bunch that will bolt right up!

Last edited:

transman

There are 24 V regulators available for about any style delco alt. The last one I did cost about $20 at a local electrical shop.changing one out is relatively easy if you are mechanically inclined.

ryan77

NAPA is awful spendy. You mentioned agricultural, I ran across this earlier. Seems a lot of John Deer stuff is 24V. Would this bolt on without any troubles? Worse comes to worst I can just pickup any alternator and I suppose I could fab up a simple bracket. But if I can find a bolt on why the heck not.

Amazon.com: New 24V 50 Amp 10SI Self Exciting Alternator with One Wire Hookup, Universal / Tractor Applications 10459509: Automotive

Amazon.com: NEW Delco 10si 24 Volt 1-Wire alternator, fits most GM style mountings, with 2" mounting foot: Automotive

Looks like there are a bunch that will bolt right up!

Im interested to see of that would work on a cucv putting ac would be easier with one alt!

Chief_919

Im interested to see of that would work on a cucv putting ac would be easier with one alt!
Your issue when using it on a CUCV is that you have a 12v drain on the front battery to run your 12v componets. With the stock system since it charges each alternator on its own, thsi is not an issue. If you ran just a 24v altenrator this would cause issue as one battery would always see a drain that the other does not.

Chief_919

Chief any way to rewire so both batts charge correctly!
Not really.

The 24v alternator sees the two batteries in series as one battery. So there is no way for it to charge one of them while the other one is left alone. You will either be overcharging the second battery, or always have the first one low.

Chief_919

Doesnt a m1010 have only one 24 volt alt? How does that work?
It uses an unwieldy system with DUVAC's that is troublesome to say the least.

More trouble than its worth. I would just do a 12v conversion before I ever considered going that route.

Gunfreak25

Hmm, i'll have to call the local shop monday. Otherwise i'll get one of the ones I found on ebay for $60. Can't go wrong for $60. I need to order up a starter first though. Then it will be a complete motor. For some reason the HMMWV motors had the starters removed, they probably swapped them onto the replacement 6.5's.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks