• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

24V and/or 6000K headlights?

Carl1008

Apologies if it's been asked before but I can't find it from searching.

I just broke a headlight just trying to pull the plug off the back! Needless to say I'm looking for a new pair of headlights

Wishfully, I'd like the following (yes, some of these desires might conflict
  • Legal (more importantly I'd like them to look completely legal so I don't bother anyone.)
  • 6000K - to match an LED light bar I just installed. (Would this color look too weird?)
  • 24V - to spread the load on my electrical system.
  • durable offroad - or at least cheap to replace!

I'd love to hear about good or bad experience with headlights that meet any of the above. Thanks!

doghead

4 Star General /Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
I get 405 search results for "HID".

cucvrus

Get a set on Truck lite LED headlamps. Great swap direct fit into the CUCV's. And for crying out loud get some di-electric grease on the connections. That's the only thing I use at my Cave. Peace man have a great day.

bwilson7990

Yeah I'll agree that the LED bulbs are the best. They're less sensitive than HIDs (as far as switching high/low and turning on/off) but you still get the same lumen output. I got brand new headlight housings with glass lenses and then installed the bulbs in the lenses rather than buying a sealed beam as factory. Go after the 7x6 headlight lenses that are glass so they wont fade (see below) and an H4 bulb kit. The LED lights are the best high/low aftermarket headlight kit I have ever owned and they're available in any color temperature that you need. Mine are 6K as you described and they match my lightbar perfectly. I actually love the way the truck looks with the nice bright white headlights.

As far as the 24V is concerned, you're talking about re-wiring everything to add in 24V support with a relay or something. It's easy enough to just get aftermarket headlights and connect them right into the factory headlight harness. I haven't experienced any electrical draw or stress of any kind with these.

Another idea if you're looking for additional lighting that's 24V, you could have the signal wire for the high beam trigger a relay to send power to a set of 24V lights. I was thinking about doing this and mounting them somewhere low on the truck. This way when you flip on your high beams you'd be making daylight before you even flip on the lightbar :D Just a thought...

Very close to the headlights lenses I got: http://www.amazon.com/Diamond-Clear-Glass-Headlight-Lamps/dp/B00JID2P9E

Last edited:

cucvrus

Yeah I'll agree that the LED bulbs are the best. They're less sensitive than HIDs (as far as switching high/low and turning on/off) but you still get the same lumen output. I got brand new headlight housings with glass lenses and then installed the bulbs in the lenses rather than buying a sealed beam as factory. Go after the 7x6 headlight lenses that are glass so they wont fade (see below) and an H4 bulb kit. The LED lights are the best high/low aftermarket headlight kit I have ever owned and they're available in any color temperature that you need. Mine are 6K as you described and they match my lightbar perfectly. I actually love the way the truck looks with the nice bright white headlights.

As far as the 24V is concerned, you're talking about re-wiring everything to add in 24V support with a relay or something. It's easy enough to just get aftermarket headlights and connect them right into the factory headlight harness. I haven't experienced any electrical draw or stress of any kind with these.

Another idea if you're looking for additional lighting that's 24V, you could have the signal wire for the high beam trigger a relay to send power to a set of 24V lights. I was thinking about doing this and mounting them somewhere low on the truck. This way when you flip on your high beams you'd be making daylight before you even flip on the lightbar :D Just a thought...

Very close to the headlights lenses I got: http://www.amazon.com/Diamond-Clear-Glass-Headlight-Lamps/dp/B00JID2P9E
If you use the vehicle off road and plow, splash thru water and drive in hard rain. The bulbs you showed will leak. And the LED bulb does not make enough heat to dry the moisture inside the composite. I have been there with good Truck lite composites with the H4 housings. The sealed Mil Spec LED's cost more but are immune to moisture. And I have not had much trouble with icing over. A few times when I smashed thru 5 FT snow banks. But that is not normal use. That is abuse. Do as you want. Go with the sealed LED's and live happily ever after.

Mainsail

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I'm of the 'ain't broke don't fix it' opinion. Just install some regular Sylvania sealed beams. They're available anywhere if one gets broken or fails, aren't expensive, and they work. You can get a little more light output by installing a relay that runs power straight off the battery. HIDs and LEDs are great for offroad lighting; I have eight HIDs in my Whelen lightbar and they work great, but regular headlights are reliable and keep the cops off my back.

cucvrus

regular headlights are reliable and keep the cops off my back.
You think LED headlamps are illegal? I think they are gentler on the eye then the Sylvania Silver Star and have been told that by other people. Nice white clean light without the retina burn. I tried them all over the years.IMHO the truck lite are the deal sealer. And are well built and hold up to all conditions. A bit pricey but fine things are worth the extra $$$$.

bwilson7990

Legality all depends on the color temperature of the emitted light and the laws of the state that you live in. A cop can't really tell with most headlight bulbs what type they are so they're really just going to look at whether they are an appropriate color. I like to stick around the 4500K (slightly off-white) to 6000K (pure white, sometimes a touch of blue depending on manufacturer) temperature color range because of the OEM look as well as 5000-6000K having the best lumen output of the temperature color scale. So LEDs would only be illegal if they were dark blue or purple (8000K to ~30000K) and a cop decided he didn't like them. On my personal car I have 3000K fogs (deep yellow) and the Sylvania Silver Star Ultra in the headlights (which is about a 6000K temp color) and I've never had any problems with the 5-0.

I have just found that the LED are just as cheap, have higher lumen output, less electrical draw, and they don't get all weird if you flip them off and on like HIDs do. This is because LEDs are a static diode that emits light rather than a gasious tube that has an electric arch to initiate illumination. No different than a solid state hard drive over a standard disk drive- less moving parts/variables = more reliable and less likely to fail.

In comparison, standard halogen bulbs are static as well (no moving parts/variables) but the filament dramatically decreases it's longevity as the lumen output increases. And they're **** expensive!! That's why I like LEDs.

Tinstar

Super Moderator
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
I have swapped out all the old lights on
my 5 tons with the truck lite brand.
Head, turn, tail and marker lights.

The headlights made a HUGE difference.

You can see so much better at night!!
I also drive with them on during the day and have been told
they stand out more than the regular lights.

One of the best investments you can make on a MV

Still deciding on a set for the cucv.
While it's a drop in fit, It does have a different look
I'm waiting to see a cucv in person that has them before I decide.

if I do, I will use truck lite brand again.
They make a fantastic product.

cucvrus

I just ordered another set OF the Truck lite LED headlamps - $300. for the pair. Awesome lights. I am upgrading every CUCV I have 1 or 2 trucks at a time. The price seems to be going down a bit each time.
I'm waiting to see a cucv in person that has them before I decide. ???? Not sure if i ever met the CUCV in person. :)

cucvrus

DSCF6368.jpgDSCF6369.jpgDSCF6370.jpgHere is some helper pictures of the Truck Lite LED Head lamps with a new Truck lite led green B/O drive lamp. The green lamp is really cool in a snow covered forest at night.

tim292stro

I just remembered I have a box of those Trucklite BO lights in storage - time to put one on the M1009 [thumbzup].

As others have said, Halogen will keep the LEO from "probable cause" stops since they look stock for an 1980's truck. They are also cheap to replace. If you're looking for an improvement in light output, start with a headlight wiring harness to tap the batteries directly with a high current relay (a good start no matter what lighting solution you settle on). LED are available in full DOT compliance from Grote/Maxxima, Trucklite, and J.W. Speaker (in order of price, lowest to highest).

HID's are most often of questionable legality - anyone who sells you a retrofit bulb without a HID-specific housing calling it street-legal is putting the illegal equipment burden on you. Avoid! Avoid! I ran them "illegally" for years on a previous vehicle, but only after I took the fixtures and bulbs to a third-party lab to verify that the light output matched the SAE requirements for headlight beam patterns. They only didn't have the SAE HID markings on them which is what made them illegal (but I had that third party test report if I needed to go to court). I don't recommend this solution, unless your intent is to take off-the-shelf fixtures which were originally designed for HID bulbs and fit them into the 200mm rectangular headlight opening (can be done with Hella 90mm modules). That said, in years of running HIDs I have gathered enough experience with them to also say "stay away" they only increase the bulb life from 500 hours to 5000 hours - LED can get you an additional 10x life on HID over the 10x HID's would give you (so LED should in theory last 100x as long as a good Halogen bulb).

"White" is what is specified for headlights as a legal term, but I've yet to come across a jurisdiction which has defined a scientific color point for white, a 6500Kelvin headlight compared against a 3000Kelvin headlight will look like yellow and blue. The human eye is NOT a scientific instrument, it's only good at comparison - if you're handed a ticket without your headlight being placed under evaluation against a reference color or a colorimeter, there is a pretty easy way out of that ticket.

It's not just about lumens and color temperature, you also need to worry about CRI (Color Rendering Index), which has to do with how well colors can be perceived when lit by that light source. The sun is the reference standard and is equal to a CRI of 100. Typically the higher color temperature LED the lower the CRI, most high brightness LED fixtures with a 6500Kelvin white have a CRI under 75 (or you will only be able to perceive 75% of colors that you would if your environment was lit by the sun). LEDs with a 3000 or 2700Kelvin white more often have a CRI above 85, but they sacrifice lumens for CRI. Very expensive LEDs are available right now that have a CRI of 95 AND high lumen output, but they are often not used in aftermarket automotive forward lighting, they are used in showroom lighting that costs a lot of money... The CRI for the LED which is used in Audi and BMW factory LED headlights is only 70. Tungsten halogen bulbs will give you a CRI of 95 or greater - most of this is in perception of reds.

If you're looking for a "cheap" improvement, try some AutoPal 200mm rectangle H4 housings with H4 bulbs and a headlight harness. If you want the "best" go with either a Trucklite LED headlight or J.W. Speaker LED headlight on a headlight harness.

Tinstar

Super Moderator
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
I just ordered another set OF the Truck lite LED headlamps - $300. for the pair. Awesome lights. I am upgrading every CUCV I have 1 or 2 trucks at a time. The price seems to be going down a bit each time.
I'm waiting to see a cucv in person that has them before I decide. ???? Not sure if i ever met the CUCV in person. :)
You know as well as I do that seeing something in person is
much better than a picture.
Im leaning towards a set but need to see a cucv in person with a set before
i pull the trigger.
Especially since they aren't cheap.

I did replace my BO light with the truck lite brand
Big difference on that alone