• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

24V at headlight harness?

deathschariot

After fixing some other electrical issues, Im now having trouble with my headlights. I know that the lighting system is supposed to be 12V, but im getting 22-24V at the harness and have blown 2 of the 6052 replacement lights. The original light was a 6054 that had "12.8V" printed on top and it still works.

I guess my question is am i supposed to be seeing so much voltage to the lights?

Screamin' Metal

Either someone has been messin' with the harness.....PROBABLY....a 24v. fusible link has melted and gotten up close and personal with a 12 v. one. OR, someone could've hooked something up wrong, Look at your wiring schmatic and and trace down your 24 v. connections....make sure they're as they're suppossed to be.

When you laying on your stomach across the radiator support and air cleaner working, its 100+ degrees and sands blowing up your ass with sweat in your eyes fixing a fusable link....it would be easy to mess up if your dealing with alot of wires....

Last edited:

beanman1

if you have 24v at the lights what else on the truck that is supposed to be 12v has 24v. my guesss is everything else . i woild check to see if the 12v power block on the firewall isnt hooked up to 24v. I put a picture of the 12v power block on here so you can see what i am talking about the wire to the left side should be connected to the front battery(the one close to the radiator) positve terminal

Attachments

Warthog

Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
.....the wire to the left side should be connected to the front battery(the one close to the radiator) positve terminal

This is almost correct. On a stock system the red wire fed for the 12v terminal
block is connected to the large red jumper wire connecting the two batteries. The smaller red fed wire is connected to the negative battery post of the rear battery.

Right clink on thumbnail and choose "Open Link in New Window"

Attachments

p3amea6

When you laying on your stomach across the radiator support and air cleaner working, its 100+ degrees and sands blowing up your ass with sweat in your eyes fixing a fusable link....it would be easy to mess up if your dealing with alot of wires....[/QUOTE]

That is soooo true :grd:

Screamin' Metal

When you laying on your stomach across the radiator support and air cleaner working, its 100+ degrees and sands blowing up your ass with sweat in your eyes fixing a fusable link....it would be easy to mess up if your dealing with alot of wires....
That is soooo true :grd:[/QUOTE]

Yea....I always hated that, especially then you got a Battalion Commander around with all the underlings, one of the underlings is wanting his truck running pronto and all he's giving you is lip.

Believe it, theres a few M1008's running around Iraq right now. These old gals won't quit!

Last edited:

deathschariot

Just giving a LONG overdue update in case anyone in the future has this problem! The 12V power block WAS wired incorrectly to the 24V source. Just moved that one wire and problem solved! Fixed this a long time ago and had fun with the truck for a while. This was the only thing wrong with the truck, so once this was fixed I cleaned the truck up and painted it.

Unfortunately I cannot keep it, so I am now selling it. If you would like to see pictures of the paintjob or if you are interested in it, its the clean looking one from Texas on ebay!