• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

24v Battery chargers

kloppk

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I use a pair of the 12 V Deltran Battery Tender Jr's on my 802A. $26 on Amazon. Just wired each charger/maintainer to each of the batteries. Not need to disconnect the batteries from each other or from the genny. The charger outputs are "floating" so no issues with connecting the positive of one to the negative of another.
I routed the quick disconnects out the power outlet cinch to the left of the terminal board door.
When needed I just pop the two quick disconnects and roll the 802 outside the garage and fire it up.
Works awesome.

I also use 4 of them to maintain a bank of 8 deep cycle batteries (48 volt bank) for my whole house 5kW UPS.

Last edited:

74M35A2

I also don't see much in the way of higher current 24V chargers, at least from auto parts suppliers. As another higher current option, one could consider to use a 24V charger for a forklift. They are plentiful on the bay and even your local scrap yard. They will be in a variety of input voltages. Not sure on golf carts, but could look there also.

I manufacture gas powered 12v and 24v high current chargers, but they are not low cost.

gimpyrobb

dumpsterlandingfromorbit!
Ok, just got in and looked, it is an "Interacter" charger.

It charges at 2-10amps, has an automatic conditioner, and lets you know when they are good to go. I looked on egay and there are a few on there right now.

rustystud

I have had good luck with the Deltran Battery Tenders. We use the waterproof models (both 12v and 24v) on all of our fire trucks. I also use the same 24v model for my deuce. My deuce's batteries are over 5 years old and are still going strong.

http://www.batterytender.com/Chargers/Waterproof-Power-Tender-Plus-24V-2-5A.html

Amazon has these for around $75
These are the units I use on my deuce and all my MEP's . Great units, have been lasting for years now with no problems.

Valence

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I have had good luck with the Deltran Battery Tenders. We use the waterproof models (both 12v and 24v) on all of our fire trucks. I also use the same 24v model for my deuce. My deuce's batteries are over 5 years old and are still going strong.

http://www.batterytender.com/Chargers/Waterproof-Power-Tender-Plus-24V-2-5A.html

Amazon has these for around $75
These are the units I use on my deuce and all my MEP's . Great units, have been lasting for years now with no problems.

This is exactly what I use on my deuce and a half and MEP-016B generator (a little over-kill for the MUCH smaller generator batteries in my opinion, but I'm still happy with it). Rated for 2.5A at full charge, but is a smart charger that'll do Bulk Charge -> Soak -> Maintenance. Can leave connected basically indefinitely.

What drew me to this one in particular was the vibration resistance and water resistance. If memory serves, I believe it was also suitable for use on regular Lead Acid (wet) and AGM batteries (as a note to the reader, AGM is not a Gel battery).

I mounted one on my deuce:
http://www.steelsoldiers.com/showthread.php?83831-Battery-Maintainer-Installed-(w-pics)

Last edited:

dependable

I have a Bosch C-7 I use to top off & maintain batteries in trucks that don't get used much. It is just a trickle charger, but it has 12V and 24V settings and settings for AGM and regular batteries.

Isaac-1

The only problem with the C-7 is that the older version which you may still find in stock in places will turn off if there is a momentary power outage and will not come back on. This apparently has been fixed in the new version, I of course have the old one.

74M35A2

If you guys need battery chargers for your trucks, it simply means you are not driving them enough! For a genset, ok.

pclausen

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I picked up the $50 5A charger in the first post, this one:

https://www.amazon.com/Volt-Amp-Mai...refRID=1S7DVNT7RRX5YYB0C8DC&ref_=pd_sim_sg_16

And I got a pair of these on my 003:

http://www.walmart.com/ip/EverStart-Maxx-24-Lead-Acid-Automotive-Battery/28275656

The charger is supposedly a 3 stage as follows:

Stage 1 - Fast Charge State: 29.4V @ 5,000mA until battery reaches 29.4V

Stage 2 - Topping Charge State: 29.4V until current is less than 1200mA

Stage 3 - Float Charge State: Holds the battery at 27.4V continuously

Both batteries were already fully charge via my regular car charger that shows when they are 100% charged.

My concern is that the new charger has now been on there for 3 hours and I'm still seeing 29.16V across them according to my Fluke 77.

Should I just be patient and wait until tomorrow and see if is has dropped to 27.4V by then, or is something wrong?

The charger is supposedly for use on AGM sealed Lead-Acid batteries (wheelchair is typical use). Could that be the issue?

On a side note, my 003 has a current leak of around 110mA, but when I disconnected the ground side, the charging voltage only went up by 0.02V (from 29.16V to 29.18V) so I don't think that has anything to do with it. I have nevertheless left the ground off for now, so the charger is the only thing connected to the 2 batteries at this time.

The specs indicate the Fast Charge voltage is 29.4V +/- 0.5V, so my 29.18V reading seem right in-line with that.

I suppose I could connect the Fluke in series with the charger to see what the current charging current is. Perhaps it hasn't gotten down to 1,200mA yet, but after 3 hours on a pair of already fully charged batteries, I would have thought it would by now?

Almost forgot, there are 2 LEDs on the charger (both unlabeled) one indicates power (red for on) and the other should be red when fast charging and green when float charging. Well on my charger, one LED is bright red, which I assume is the power indicator, and the other appears to be off or very faint red, but I think that is just indirect light from the red LED next to it.

I cut off the male XLR plug on the end of the charger and crimped on eyelets for the battery terminals already, so I can't really return it any longer. I don't care about the charging LED not working, but I don't want to kill my batteries either from over charging...

Last edited:

pclausen

Steel Soldiers Supporter
After 4.5 hours, it switched to float charge state and the bright red LED turned green and the internal fan went silent. The power LED continued glow a dim red.

Just had to be a bit more patient I suppose. Now its time to install the auto start circuit board from inova tech.

TNriverjet

Steel Soldiers Supporter
There's some really good info in this thread about charging through the slave port on MEP Gensets. I would think you could also do this through the slave port on a MV.

http://www.steelsoldiers.com/showth...harging-thru-slave-port&highlight=NOCO+genius

I am working on a source for the G7200 charger. I have a smaller 12/6V version already and it's a great unit. I have bought one of these for the charger to run through once I get it.

image.jpg

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks