• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

24V equp. on a 12V veh.??

Whiterabbit

Is it possible to use 24V equipment on a 12 vehicle? I want to use a 24V radio setup on civ. truck or possibly a M274"mule. Don't laugh
Thanks

Militoy

There are plenty of other options available to you - you should be able to pick up something appropriate from an electronic surplus store. First - you need to determine how much power (in Watts) you will need to run your radio gear. Then - try a Google search for "DC-DC Converter 12 24" (or 12 to 28V) - and look for a model that converts 12V to 24V or 28V, and has at least as high a wattage rating as the equipment you are running. If you are unsuccessful in your search, you might consider using a lower-power DC-DC converter just to charge up an additional battery in series, and make your own mini-24V system on your Mule. Most radio operations are intermittant - so you may not need to provide the full output power needed by the radio directly from the converter.

Last edited:

m109guy

There are some for sale cheap on ebay.

I know we are not allowed to link to auctions, but just search for "Military High Power supply DC/DC converter 12V to 24V" and you will find it. They are also located in the US.

I have 5 of these types of units, and they work great.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks