• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

24V equp. on a 12V veh.??

Whiterabbit

Is it possible to use 24V equipment on a 12 vehicle? I want to use a 24V radio setup on civ. truck or possibly a M274"mule. Don't laugh
Thanks

Militoy

There are plenty of other options available to you - you should be able to pick up something appropriate from an electronic surplus store. First - you need to determine how much power (in Watts) you will need to run your radio gear. Then - try a Google search for "DC-DC Converter 12 24" (or 12 to 28V) - and look for a model that converts 12V to 24V or 28V, and has at least as high a wattage rating as the equipment you are running. If you are unsuccessful in your search, you might consider using a lower-power DC-DC converter just to charge up an additional battery in series, and make your own mini-24V system on your Mule. Most radio operations are intermittant - so you may not need to provide the full output power needed by the radio directly from the converter.

Last edited:

m109guy

There are some for sale cheap on ebay.

I know we are not allowed to link to auctions, but just search for "Military High Power supply DC/DC converter 12V to 24V" and you will find it. They are also located in the US.

I have 5 of these types of units, and they work great.