• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

24V jump box

Lionel

Steel Soldiers Supporter
So I have a few humvees to move coming up soon and I decided that since a few of them cut off when the slave cable is removed, I'd find a more portable setup. Checked all around and the Jump N Carry JNC 12/24 had pretty good reviews, so I coughed up the $325 for it. I figured it would be as simple as making a second cable with a NATO plug to hook up at the back of the box. Not quite that simple. After examining the wiring diagram, there's a lot going on inside that box and all that 24v plugin does is loop the two 12V batteries to series. The juice only comes out of the leads, so I cut off the alligator clamps and put quick disconnects on the box, the slave and the clamps. I tested on one of my humvees with caved in batteries and zero volts and it had enough a** to crank over quick and start. Very happy with it so far. 0921191531a.jpg

Last edited:

TOBASH

Father, Surgeon, Cantankerous Grouch
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Fool me once, shame on you. Fool me twice.....

Now I knew a gal who it was rumored could start a HMMWV from the tailpipe, but that might be best for a different type of website.

Coug

Steel Soldiers Supporter
So I have a few humvees to move coming up soon and I decided that since a few of them cut off when the slave cable is removed, I'd find a more portable setup. Checked all around and the Jump N Carry JNC 12/24 had pretty good reviews, so I coughed up the $325 for it. I figured it would be as simple as making a second cable with a NATO plug to hook up at the back of the box. Not quite that simple. After examining the wiring diagram, there's a lot going on inside that box and all that 24v plugin does is loop the two 12V batteries to series. The juice only comes out of the leads, so I cut off the alligator clamps and put quick disconnects on the box, the slave and the clamps. I tested on one of my humvees with caved in batteries and zero volts and it had enough a** to crank over quick and start. Very happy with it so far. View attachment 777180
That looks similar to what the auction yard in Yermo used to start and run my truck to get it loaded up on the trailer.

Wire Fox

This jump box looks absolutely brilliant. If I worked on more 24V vehicles, I'd definitely be adding one of these to my garage. Right now, I've got my HMMWV and an auxiliary heater trailer that runs off 24V.

I will say, this very well could've saved me from one time when I had battery issues and got stuck towing my HMMWV back to my garage. Looked ****ed funny with this little guy pulling the big HMMWV via tow strap... It was only 2 tons beyond my towing capacity. (All on a small driveway, so no public road hazards involved.)

Dodge Dart.jpg

Lionel

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Great idea. Isn't it a little hard on the charging system to continuously jump start a vehicle?
Its mostly a "go" box for me when the EUC's clear and they give me a week to move 20 HMMWV's. The batts are dead in every one of them, so, not much choice.

Milcommoguy

Supporting Vendor
More likely hard on the owner. Drag it out, hook it up, fingers crossed, wait and see, take it off, pack it up.

Charge system is doing nothing when trying to start. Now, if the batteries were dead / weak and one used this "aux battery box" or any other 24 volt slaved connection to get on-board batteries a bump to get started YEA, it worked! ... then the charging system would do its charging and the batteries could take a charge. (assuming it is in operational condition)

Batteries have three states. Charged, dead and JUNK.

Just thinking about this is giving me muscles, CAMO

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks