• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

24v LED headlights

I have line on some used 7" 24v MV LED headlights. Is this something anyone would be interested in? There is a limited quantity and from what I gather they will be around $350.00 per pair or should I beat the guy down at that price.

Last edited:

wsucougarx

This may have been just a fluke. I bought a pair of brand new military 24v LED's on ebay for a mere $140 shipped for the pair. They were brand new complete with the housings. I ended up selling them because they were too esoteric for liking.

Unforgiven

Are they DOT legal? How many lumens do they produce? Are there any side-by-side photos of their night performace compared to halogen or HID? I know that HID conversions are illegal b/c they blind oncoming motorists. But, HID driving lights mounted to the bumper are DOT legal as long as they have a built-in low beam cutoff. I was thinking of good quality halogens for the headlights + Dot legal HID accessory lights.

robr

[FONT=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]The US Military has acquired more than 100,000 Truck-Lite 24 volt 7” round LED Headlamps since the release in 2007 for use on both new and existing wheeled and tracked vehicles in Iraq and Afghanistan. After passing rigorous testing and design improvements through corporate laboratory and field studies, Truck-Lite’s 24v launch is currently active on a number of military vehicles. The LED Headlamps have also undergone extreme weather testing at military installations in Panama, Arizona and Alaska with exceptional results!

The 7” round white LED Headlamps meet or exceed all applicable Department of Transportation (DOT) requirements pertaining to headlights, one of the most difficult standards to achieve. Truck-Lite has been able to successfully develop a perfect blend of thermal management and light output to produce an aesthetically pleasing beam pattern through innovative precision optics.:-D[/FONT]

davesgmc

dot legal? since when do we care about that? your duece isint current dot legal in any way. but it is dot legal for when it was mfg. if all someone wants to worry about is being pulled over in a duece and ticketed for having led tail lights,,,,well......

anyhow,,they are cool, got a pair of them for my ferret so i can see at night. honestly,,,not worth the money at all.

zout

goes back to a thread I posted under:
SAFETY in the forum
it was dated 9/4/09 when the new trucklite catalog came out and these were listed. I did not list the price at that time as they were a new item.

It stated they were DOT legal.
last the lifetime of your truck and you.

Ridgerunner

LEDs produce very little heat, compaired to a standard regular incandesant light. Do LED head lights put out enough heat to melt the snow off them, if you use them in the winter?

If not, I could see them getting snow covered, just like the rest of the frontend does and not giving you the light up ahead like you need.

Last edited:

Unforgiven

dot legal? since when do we care about that? your duece isint current dot legal in any way.
Tell that to the DMV for my inspection.

Out west all the Fast-N-Furious Rice Burners were installing illegal HID bulbs in their halogen reflector housings. The result is absolutely blinding the oncoming traffic. That's what happens when you sell a $100 kit pretending to be a $2500 HID factory installed system. So the metro police departments cracked down hard. The cops or neighbors might overlook a noisy muffler or no shoulder harness. But when you are giving cataracts to people 1/2 a mile down the road it gets noticed.

DMV inspections almost always check for DOT headlights with functioning high beams.

zout

Being involved with the DOT 24/7 - they are money mongers and and bunch of criminals that no longer deal with things that are pertenent to safety - it is s matter of income and holding their jobs to find every nit picky thing they can to make money.
How about a placard holder that is about 1 degree off center - given a ticket that accounts for income to them.
Carpet baggers is a better word.
It states on the build paperwork these are tested DOT legal. Just take it to court and put them in their place.

How about writing up trucks with not enough spare fuses - they do not even know where the primary fuse box is ? And it is full of spares.
How about brake fluid that is about 1/32nd below the full level and written up ?4
Give me a break - nough said about the bums.

Unforgiven

Do the headlights have Hi/Lo & is there anywhere their illumination lumens can be found? Could you post a pic? I might be interested in your group buy.