• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

24V to 12V For Emergency Equipment

bfdvollie

Ok our first FD 998 question. We need to step the 24V down to 12V to run the radio, siren control ,lightbar, etc. We plan on using LED's for most emergency lights so the current draw will be low and the siren is only 100W.

We're looking at a DC to DC converter like this one on eBay....****deleted link****

Any thoughts? Our unit only has a 24V generator.

Thanks!!

Last edited by a moderator:

Warthog

Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter

Attachments

Last edited:

m-35tom

Supporting Vendor
actually it is a power converter. an inverter changes ac to dc or dc to ac. a siren will easily draw close to 10 amps at 12 volts, the 100 watts is just the output to the speaker.
the best bang for the buck would be a vanner equalizer for 24 volt systems with a 50 amp rating.
what harm in the ebay link? he is just using it for a 'for instance' and is not buying, selling, or any thing objectional. it should not be removed.

tom

Warthog

Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Not a problem. I just happen to be on Hall Monitor duty today....:wink:

Warthog

Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
what harm in the ebay link? he is just using it for a 'for instance' and is not buying, selling, or any thing objectional. it should not be removed.

tom
Auction Postings: Please abide by the following rules concerning the posting of auction information in the forums:
• Do NOT post about future or current GL/GSA/eBay (including items for sale in buy-it-now formats)/local/city/state/Federal/estate auctions. You may post about any auction after the auction is closed.
• Do not post links to auction photos.
• Do not post links to GL/GSA(or other sites)that have links that quit working after a short period of time. Save the image to your PC and then attach it to your post.
• Do NOT post links to current eBay auctions or Craig's List ads that are not your own. You may post a link to your own auction/ad only if it is in an information/discussion thread about you vehicle/item. Do not start a post in the Conversations forum or your vehicle specific forum just to announce your auction/ad.
• No collusion as specified above.

patracy

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
To expand on why it's not a good idea even though in this case there's no direct harm is simple. In six months when the auction details are erased from ebay, the link will be dead and leave future readers without any details on what he was mentioning.[thumbzup]

m-35tom

Supporting Vendor
To expand on why it's not a good idea even though in this case there's no direct harm is simple. In six months when the auction details are erased from ebay, the link will be dead and leave future readers without any details on what he was mentioning.[thumbzup]
yet i can post a link to my own listing in certain cases? same net problem. possibly the best way to ask about something on an auction is not to say it is on an auction, but to just ask a specific question about its suitability.

tom

jasonjc

Most "STROBE" lights will work on 12v-24v. Most LED's do not. Tomar makes strobe and led lights and siren and switch box/controllers that are 12 and 24 volt. I'm installing some of there LED's right now and they are marked 12 and 24volt. This would take most of the load off a converter.

3dAngus

You could switch to one of the new generators with both 24 volts and 12 volts. Then no modifications are needed.

HUH?

Have you got specifics? Cost, manufacutre, specs, compatibility data, source?
Sounds promising, and it's something I never heard of, so I would like to hear more, or enough, so that I can do my own research if necessary. Will it mount in a deuce without modification?

mikew

If a fellow would type in a search term like (exactly like) "Converter regulator 24V 12V 20a 240W" at Electronics, Cars, Fashion, Collectibles, Coupons and More Online Shopping | eBay, he'd like what he sees..... There are many converters on E-Bay and most are junk, but the above search will show good, water tight in cast aluminum housing ones.

A search term, at that same website, like "vanner equalizer" would also bring joy.

The equalizer is the best choice because it allows for much higher peak loads (not limited to the amp rating of the equalizer), but more money.

Alternatively, one could use more than one converter, one dedicated to the radio, one for siren, one or more for lights, etc.

gungearz

Maybe you should consider on running dual alternators. The converter would be fine to run all of your equipment but its possible that your alternator will not charge your batteries back up enough. Especially if they are not gel cell batteries...

bfdvollie

I did a search on the vanner equalizer and I like the Vanner battery equalizer voltmaster 60-50A. I feel 50 amps is over kill but the price is reasonable. I'm going to get dims for the module and see if it will fit next to battery compartment where the jack would go. We are also going to see what the cost difference to get 24V emergency equipment versus 12V.

sgtmike3

24V lights

We looked at a few solutions to this issue. I found that Sound Off Signal makes a wide variety of LED lights that operate on 10-30 vDC. These can be direct wired to the HMMWV easily. They also make a siren that has full light controls that also works on 10-30 vDC. A good place to look at all of these is sirennet.com We are going with surface mount LED's. This will allow us to have adequate emergency lighting and reduce the risk of it getting ripped off when we are off road. They even have spot and flood lights that are the same voltages. I did a complete outfit with front and read floods and 360 LED lights and a siren and interior dome light for around $1400. Its not installed yet. I will post pics when it is though.

We will still be installing a DC-DC converter for our Motorola radio and GoLight, but it will be a smaller, less expensive unit running less equipment.

Mike

skidunits4you

Steel Soldiers Supporter
pics will be great of project. our 900 series has 12 to 30 volt strobes on it I built it a few years ago. I would go with LED now and only use converter for radio

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks