• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

24V to 12V For Emergency Equipment

I use two Pyle 720 watt voltage converters. I got them several months ago for about $25 each on ebay but I looked today and they were $40. I run a stereo, cb, four 100 watt PA's, a four channel amplifier, two subwoofers, four speakers, two 12 volt outlets, and a fan. They have worked very well and are far cheaper than other options, even if you have to buy two.

Attachments

Last edited:

bfdvollie

Mike if we could get new equipment the 24V wouldn't be as big as an issue but even though those lights can run up to 30VDC, the switchs can not. I did a quick search and a 24VDC lighted SPST switch was averaging almost 10 bucks a switch versus on average of 2 bucks for a 12VDC. We're looking at a 7 switch configuration so it would add up.

We are planing on using a Code 3 lightbar with a Fed Sig siren and 100W speaker we already have in house. We only planned to buy some strobes to take the place of the reflectors on the HMMWV that we will be removing.

We looked at a few solutions to this issue. I found that Sound Off Signal makes a wide variety of LED lights that operate on 10-30 vDC. These can be direct wired to the HMMWV easily. They also make a siren that has full light controls that also works on 10-30 vDC. A good place to look at all of these is sirennet.com We are going with surface mount LED's. This will allow us to have adequate emergency lighting and reduce the risk of it getting ripped off when we are off road. They even have spot and flood lights that are the same voltages. I did a complete outfit with front and read floods and 360 LED lights and a siren and interior dome light for around $1400. Its not installed yet. I will post pics when it is though.

We will still be installing a DC-DC converter for our Motorola radio and GoLight, but it will be a smaller, less expensive unit running less equipment.

Mike

bfdvollie

Thank you for the write up, the issue is on a M998 is where would you put the 12V battery?

I am not sure if I can do this but I think I can. A while ago I set my deuce up just like you want to with a 12 V system for my emergency light, siren, etc. If you look at my post you will see how I did it and I have been extremely happy with the outcome. If it helps you are anyone else I am happy. Good luck!

http://www.steelsoldiers.com/deuce/80523-new-12-v-mod-my-deuce-other-stuff.html

Mike if we could get new equipment the 24V wouldn't be as big as an issue but even though those lights can run up to 30VDC, the switchs can not. I did a quick search and a 24VDC lighted SPST switch was averaging almost 10 bucks a switch versus on average of 2 bucks for a 12VDC. We're looking at a 7 switch configuration so it would add up.

We are planing on using a Code 3 lightbar with a Fed Sig siren and 100W speaker we already have in house. We only planned to buy some strobes to take the place of the reflectors on the HMMWV that we will be removing.
You will probably be able to find the switches you need for about half that price at McMaster Carr.

sgtmike3

Thank you for the write up, the issue is on a M998 is where would you put the 12V battery?
Under one of the back seats? There is plenty of room, adding a bracket to secure it would not be difficult.

We are also looking into the possibility of solar to provide 12V for some equipment and thats where we would put the batteries.

Mike

bfdvollie

Our's is a 2 seater so the rear opening is closed up on top by a slide in insert and the foot well we plan on using for tool storage and a half door where people can sit and spray water.

sgtmike3

That poses an interesting issue. The panels are just the seat backs for the rear seats. The rear seat bottoms should still be there and are removable. There are storage areas under both seats that should still be reasonably accessable. Thats the only really good place I can think of to mount an extra battery. Once the battery is installed you really shouldn't need to get to it to often.

Mike

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks