• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

24V to 12V power converter

mdemars03

I want to get a converter to step down to 12v DC for accessories. What is a good brand and size to look at? Obviously I would want something that can handle a decent load so if I add several items (lights, 12v power outlets, radio, possibly a CB, etc.) in the future it can handle all of it with out overheating or causing any problems.

CARNAC

The Envelope Please.
Supporting Vendor
VPED has a friend that has done this to his 5ton in El Paso. The work is exceptional. We probably need to go look at it when I return.

Castle Bravo

Hundredaire Socialite
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Surepower/Cooper/Bussman/Eaton and Vanner offer 24v input 12v output DC-DC converter/equalizers up to 100A or so. New and used units can usually be found at a deal if you wait and watch.

pmramsey

There is a far better, safer way to split your 24-12 volt needs in MVs. It is what the military uses.

It adds 8 additional 24-volt circuits and 4 additional 12-volt circuits. Each is fused with the amps required for the circuit. There is no heat byproduct and the overloading issue is never an issue.

The product is made by PulseTech. I use them in all my trucks. They sell for something stupid like $30.00 each. Many of the 900 series trucks come with the device mounted in the battery compartment under the passenger seat.

They can be found on one of those big auction sites.

Andyrv6av8r

Steel Soldiers Supporter
There is a far better, safer way to split your 24-12 volt needs in MVs. It is what the military uses.

It adds 8 additional 24-volt circuits and 4 additional 12-volt circuits. Each is fused with the amps required for the circuit. There is no heat byproduct and the overloading issue is never an issue.

The product is made by PulseTech. I use them in all my trucks. They sell for something stupid like $30.00 each. Many of the 900 series trucks come with the device mounted in the battery compartment under the passenger seat.

They can be found on one of those big auction sites.
Do you have a part number?

King

Maybe I'm missing the big picture here, but why don't you just tap one battery? I'm only using a single circuit for cell phone inside my Duce, any ground point with the tap provides a simple 12vdc and an inline fuse is easy to add if desired? Just a thought.

Warthog

Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Maybe I'm missing the big picture here, but why don't you just tap one battery? I'm only using a single circuit for cell phone inside my Duce, any ground point with the tap provides a simple 12vdc and an inline fuse is easy to add if desired? Just a thought.
If you are just using a single item on the 12v tap, you will be fine.

This a very simplified explanation of what happens. There is much more involved.

The issue comes in when you create a large load on the 12v circuit. By drawing power from the single battery it creates an imbalance in the voltages between the batteries. When the alternator attempts to charge the batteries, it see the lower voltage in the single battery and attempts to charge it at a higher rate. This in turn overcharges the second battery that already is fully charged. The overcharging cooks the second battery and shortens its life.

Castle Bravo

Hundredaire Socialite
Steel Soldiers Supporter
I use a couple Samlex models. I use them on my HET and I use them on clients construction equipment when I do installs. One is 60 amps the other is 30 amps.
What are you using them for in the HET? Do you need more power than the 145A 12v alternator provides?

pmramsey

Warthog explains it well. However, if you have several accessories you want to add, your options become progressively more limited. On my deuce truck, I run cab marker lights, a pair of cab mounted Xeon lamps, two 24-volt cabin fans, a dome light, a charger, a 24-volt artic heater for the cargo area, and a 200-amp circuit for the winch.

CliffSegar

http://www.powerstream.com/dc1.htm
I have used the PST-D24/12-800 for 4 years without any problems. I run several radios in my Pinzgauer (amateur radio and commercial/public service) along with 12 volt lights and the assorted GPS, cell phone chargers, etc that we all want in our toys.

As for tapping the "low" side battery: if you are going to draw more than an amp, don't. As stated prior, it will over charge the "high" side battery causing it to fail.

CliffSegar

Ever used them on something bigger like a electric/hydraulic plow motor. I'm looking for someone who has. Would be a heavy draw
I think you would be cheaper to get a 24 vdc motor than trying to find an inverter with that much output. Talk to the manufactured (or a really good motor rebuild shop). Or go with a PTO hydraulic pump.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks