• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

250 or Multi fuel?

hummin2london

I'm thnking of picking up a 5tonner from a friend with about 6 trucks. Some have the Cummins 250, some are multifuel. I've been running a MF engine in a duece and have been pretty happy with it. Is there a significant advantage to the 250?? Is it worth paying extra for?

Thanks!

DDoyle

Supporting Vendor
Over here the Cummins-powered trucks tend to be preferred by commercial users. This is probably due to their familiarity with the brand through their other trucks, and the local availability of Cummins parts almost anywhere in the nation.

Also, the earliest Multifuel, the LDS-427, had a reputation for failure - which tarnished the Multifuel name. (Today these early engines are scarce, and trucks powered by them highly collectible.)

The result of these two factors is that the Cummins-powered trucks tend to be more desirable to the commercial user, and hence more expensive. But I would not say they are "better."

Hope this helps,
David Doyle

Recovry4x4

LLM/Member 785
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
It's my humble opinion that the multifuel loves to work. You may not get there first with the multifuel but you will get there. Another of my meaningless opinions is I like the somewhat shorter and flat appearance of the nose of the M39 series of trucks vs the M809 series. Of course these are opinions and should carry the weight as such.

steelsoldiers

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
I am a Cummins guy through and through so one day I'll have an 800 or 900 series truck in my stable. I'm just the oppostie of Kenny I guess since I like the longer nose of the 800's.

JDToumanian

I wonder what the longevity of a Cummins 250 is? The recently revived thread about converting to spin-on filters or adding anti-drainback valves or pre-lubers to a multifuel is fresh on my mind... and how the filters draining back to the pan taking the crud back with them contributes to a fairly short life span for multifuels (as far as heavy-duty diesel engines go).

:?:

Jon

Gamagoat1

I had an M543A2 and loved the sound of the turbo, but my M816 is a beast in comparison. The torque of the Cummins is incredible, but then so is it's appetite for fuel.

AMGeneral

Cummins definetly,Mack engine if avaliable,I'd have to pass on the 5 ton multi.I've had all three,true the 250 drinks a bit more but you have 240 hp and 700 ft/lbs of torque to pull your 5 ton tractor,cargo,wrecker or what have you.Just my 2cents

m139h2otruck

I don't have a multi, but we do have a gasser and the 800 series have it all over the older trucks. The new style steering and the big torque of the Cummins is great. The only thing lacking is the higher RPM of the gasser (ours is turned up to 3,000) and the greater speed available on the flats. But, any hills and the big 855 is gone.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks