• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

251 in the American M37

Matt Wilson

I would call it more of an hub than a balancer that the pulley bolts to, I used the factory piece. Engine has been great with no issues what soever. I usually drive highway around the 60 mph as I live out of town around 30 miles from the city. I would say that if you are building one that BALANCING the rotating assembly is a must for the longevity of the 265 as it has a 4 3/4" stroke which is a long throw in any engine.
Thanks, Superdave. So your hub doesn't have any type of rubber or heavy metal/disc portion that would tend to balance out vibes? Just a plain hub? That's good to hear from my perspective. For my 265, I think I will have the option to use the pulley from my 230 or the one from the 251 donor engine that I'll be receiving soon. The 230 pulley is just a one-piece unit. The pulley is sheet metal and is welded to the hub, no damping capability at all. I don't know yet what the 251 pulley looks like, but the person who currently has the engine says the pulley is not a damper type. Knowing that the 265's came with dampers of various sizes, and not knowing if they ever came without a damper, I wasn't sure if I was inviting trouble by running mine without it (just running a plain pulley), but your experience seems to indicate that it's fine, so that's reassuring.

And yes, I will definitely get a good balance job done on the crank, rods, flywheel, etc. Most of my driving will be around town, but I will also spend some time on the highway at 60mph or so. I have 4.89's in both diffs.

Thanks,

Matt

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks