• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

265 Flathead Connecting Rod Bolts

Matt Wilson

Hi Guys, I'm working on building up a 265 Dodge flathead for my '49 Power Wagon, but some of the connecting rod bolts are a little beat up. As far as I can tell, NOS ones are nowhere to be found, but I'm wondering if anyone here has any good used ones (or NOS for that matter, ha, ha) that you'd be willing to part with?

Thanks.

Matt Wilson

Thanks for the reply. Yes, I tried VPW and quite a few other places, and it seems these bolts are just not to be found. I'm in hopes that someone here will have a few extras lying around from an engine they took apart. Or ideally, some NOS ones, but that's unlikely. I also thought about ways to adapt other bolts, such as ARP's, but the 265 bolts and rods are so unique that I don't see a way to do that.

Matt Wilson

Hi Dave, well, ideally I would replace all of them with new ones, as I prefer not to reuse bolts in such critical applications. Second-best would be to replace all of them with better-looking used ones, as most of mine have some amount of damage to the shanks. At the very least, there is one bolt that looks particularly bad, so one would be the minimum I would need. You also never know when someone may have overtorqued them at some point.

So I guess it's kind of up to you and how many you are willing to part with and what condition they are in. Are they all used or are any of them new/NOS?

Most of mine got scraped and gouged up quite a bit when they were installed into the rods during prior rebuilds. Maybe it's just fine to file down the damage and use them, but it makes me nervous. Also, the heads on several got pretty mashed up, and the only thing I can figure is that someone was beating the pistons and rods out the bottom of the engine (not me). Most of the piston skirts are broken off to varying degrees, so that may be further evidence of this. The one that is the worst has shank and thread damage, too.

Last edited:

Matt Wilson

That's good news. I've attached a couple of pictures of one of my bolts. Can you tell me if yours are the same? I just want to be sure. The type of bolt I have is flat on flat on top and has a little bump sticking out sideways to fit into the connecting rod, so the bolt won't turn when tightening the nut.

Attachments

Last edited:
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks