• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

28-37 MHz range, anything?

B3.3T

Is there anything to listen to in the 28-37MHz range? I'm not a radio guy but have one working in that range.

timass1

10meter Ham Band 28.300 to 29.700 Upper Side Band after that if it has FM capabilities you might be able to hear some misc. fire dept.s on what they call low band. Hope this helps.

blybrook

Amateur radio 10m band is 28.0 to 29.7 MHz
30.0 MHz to 37.0 MHz appears to be business band, mostly restaurants per the frequency chart I have.

HTH

Bill

antennaclimber

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Here is a few that I can recall:

28-29.7 MHz Amateur Radio Comms.
30-32 MHz Business Comms
33-34 MHz Public safety, mostly Fire Comms.
35-36 MHz Business Comms.
37-39 MHz Public Safety Comms.

Tune around and see what you can find. Most low band communications has been moved to higher frequencies. But there are still a few users on it. It may take some time to find them, especially with the low sun spot activity.
Karl

Wile E. Coyote

I used to pick up lots of public service agencies FM on skip in that range in the 80s, mostly from New Mexico, Arizona, Texas and so on, though more than a few California agencies too - everything from DOT/ DPW through the freeway patrol in some places, though most of it was 30.00 mHz and higher from what I remember. Been awhile.

Irv

I used to pick up the drive-up window at Dairy Queen on 35.02 MHz FM. Amazing what you can hear them say when they think you can't hear. :cool:

Do a search on google for radio scanner frequencies for your area. They are listed for most everywhere.

Don't transmit, though. It's illegal, plus they likely won't hear you because they are probably using a sub-audible tone, which the mil radios don't usually have. Without the tone, no audio comes through.

Irv

Wile E. Coyote

Haha..yes..the McD's drive-thru locally was on the same freqs or thereabouts. I had this giant AN/GRC-7 setup sitting on a table humming away in all its hard-charging, heavy-duty, not-yer-momma's-old-CB glory - and out of the speaker comes this anemic, panty-waist, nasally, chardonnay-sipping voice saying...

"...and another large fries...and..oooh! an extra pack of croutons for my salad!"

(And yes, I did resist the urge to send 15 watts of "WHERE'S THE BEEF!!!" back at him...but barely :D )

Wile E. Coyote

Old school cordless phones were down there too. Most were in the 46-49 Mhz garbage band like baby monitors and such-like but some were 35-38 mHz, at least in the 80s and early 90s from what I remember. My scanner would pick up some of it but boy - were those old tube sets hooked up to the MS-116 type copper whips sure sensitive by comparison. Just the copper whip and an army set got me just about every gossip in the neighbourhood and then some talking about things on their cordless with absolutely no idea that those things offered no security whatsoever, and were the wireless equivalent of a neighborhood-wide bullhorn.

(To be polite you wouldn't listen long - and would never walk around saying you'd overheard so-and-so saying such-and-such - but it was still great to hear that stuff come over the LS-166.)

rlwm211

If you go to Radioreference.com you can look every FCC license issued for the area you live in. Unless the signal is low power, or else black ops the user must have a license.

RL

tennmogger

Steel Soldiers Supporter
29.6 to 29.7 is the FM sub band on 10 meters so your FM (isn't it?) receiver can hear the modulation. If you live near a population center there's a good chance there'll be a repeater there. Tune around at whatever step size your receiver has (50 Khz, 25 if you're lucky) and see what you can hear. But, you still can't transmit unless licensed. Many repeaters in that subband are internet linked so you might hear signals from anywhere, and listening can be interesting.

Bob
WB4ETT
Is there anything to listen to in the 28-37MHz range? I'm not a radio guy but have one working in that range.

OPCOM

Steel Soldiers Supporter
There is also SSB on the 10M band, so if you hear distorted sqwawking noises on your FM set, that is what that is.