• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

28 MT Starter??

1956_4x4

Thinking about converting my 1986 M1031 over to a 12 volt starter. Is the 28MT the correct starter for this conversion? I found one on Ebay, but it only goes back to a 1989. I figure I can double my CCA if I go with a 12 volt starter.

Does anyone happen to have a link to the process for this conversion? It seems like it would be pretty straight forward, but I'd hate to miss something.

Smitty

1956_4x4

Found an excellent write-up on the conversion on the net by Roscommon Equipment Center.

The starter that I'm looking at buying is from DB Electrical through Ebay. (item #130024144416) It's a 12 volt gear reduction starter. I'm just not too sure if it will work as far as bolting up and meshing with the ring gear.

Smitty

BKinzey

Yeah, I've looked at those. After you get it post back on what you think of it. Quality, ease of installation. It's a very good price. I was just too chicken to buy one before getting a review. :oops:

1956_4x4

I bought a winch motor from this company a while back. They shipped it out quick and it was well made. I doubt this part will be any different. I'll post up after I get it installed.

Smitty

1956_4x4

Just finished installing the new starter. I have to say that this 12 volt conversion might be the way to go. Putting this starter in is a lot easier than the old one, the weight savings makes it simple to get the bolts started. The only starters I've delt with in the 6.2 have been factory starters, but I'd have to say this one turns the engine over easier than any I've seen in the past. It has the normal 1-year warranty so we'll see how it holds up.

Smitty

1956_4x4

K10A said:
Do you have the rear starter hold up bracket ?
Yes. I had to trim the original bracket to fit the new starter. After seeing how the bolts will shear off when people don't install the rear bracket, I wouldn't run a starter without one.

Smitty

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks