• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

28MT replacement starter

Chief_919

I have one on my truck.

It is Chinese. Works ok, but I ponied up the $$$ for a rebuilt GM gear reduction unit and will be swapping it out soon. Side by side you can tell the quality difference.

But mine is working so far.

southdave

I got 6 or 7 from gl rebuilt them and I love it. Mine are delc remey out of humvee and are built in Brazil go figure spins allitle faster then the stock one I swaped out.. if you it, it has different hanger for the rear that gm still stocks.. the mt27 is the 12volt starter
Also the starter is used in JD farm and construction equipment and some CAT crap
if

Warthog

Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
You have been around long enough to know that no active auctions, including fleebay are to be posted...;-)

Just make sure you change the support bracket and install new bolts.

Dave Kay

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Ok then, so I guess the question needs to be asked; who or which vendor DOES NOT sell Chinese junk? AC-Delco stuff is re-maned, overseas, and arounf $200 a pop. And it looks to be impossible to get NEW Made in the USA units, so where do us CUCV guys go for a quality starters?

I for one DO NOT trust most rebuilders of anything anymore--- no apologies--- experience is the best teacher. So, rebuild them ourselves? How about the solenoids? where can a guy get a decent one NOT made in China?

Guess I'm asking a lot here ain't I~~~!!!!:roll:

Matt65

I got one from DBElectric on Ebay. Very pleased with them. Starter works great, far better than the direct drive piece it replaced.

SSG Rock

The gear reduction starter requires a different bracket, try to get one befor installing this type starter, also check clearence between flywheel and starter drive,

RedHeadTarn

I bought one of the cheapo ones from ebay about a year ago and it has worked great. And I am abusing the crap out of it because my check valve on top of my IP is leaking so every morning I have to crank it for 20 or 30 sec to get fuel back up to the pump. I was initially apprehensive but it has been doing great, and at the price I can keep a spare in the garage.

DokWatson

I got one off ebay for 90$ shipped. It was still in the plastic and was a Delco. Gotta have the gear reduction bracket, I got mine from the Chevy dealership for 15$. It spins way faster and is one of my favorite bolt on mods. I kept the direct drive as a backup just in case though... hard to pull start an automatic 100 miles in the middle of nowhere :roll:

Mohawk Dave

Hey SS,

I am buying a spare starter to keep in the Oh9. Some of you have recommended DB Electrical on EBAY. there 24v Gear Reduction is 90 bucks right now. Says it's new. Is this the good one, or Chinese Junk? Or should I spend $200 from CNC Electrical?

Thanks,

Dave