• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

290 cummins

WillWagner

The Person You Were Warned About As A Child
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
What I'm saying is for the 855, there is one crank. The N14 is different, some counter weights have been removed and the rod journals are larger.

11Echo

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I made a living for a while running a 290 many years ago. Good truck, good motor, reliable. I hauled steel, oversized equipment, and also pulled a dump trailer with it. The 13 speed Roadranger was a favorite transmission in those days.
This pic was after I just dropped an oversized load where I grossed 126k . I also pulled a pair of 30 ton mixers up to the same place. Truck moved the loads ok!

The 5 ton Canadian truck pic I took while at Adelman's.

Attachments

Last edited:

WillWagner

The Person You Were Warned About As A Child
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
The cooling nozzles are there to help keep the piston temps down when the engine is loaded. Too much fuel, fueling beyond the design limits of the engine, causes more heat than the engine components were designed to take. When a turbo is added to the engine, you add heat to the cylinder. When you add more fuel to the cylinder, you add heat. The pistons are aluminum. The liners are cast iron. The only support on the liner is at the counterbore...the top of the liner, and toward the bottom, about 3 inches up from the bottom of the liner where the seal and o-rings are. The middle of the liner can expand, the top and seal area can't, the block is right behind it. When too much heat is added...turbo and or fuel, the piston expands and the middle section of the liner expands, it's supposed to do this, it is designed this way. The problem happens when the heat generated in the combustion process isn't or can't be removed/stabilized, that's why the cooling nozzles are there. A piston is smaller at the crown than at the skirt, this is designed this way because the combustion process makes heat and therefore expands the crown faster than the skirt. If the heat continues down the skirt, it expands too much. Remember the seal area on the liner that can't expand 'cause the lower receiver of the block is right behind it? Well, a skirt that expands too much won't fit through that hole very easily, the oil film on the piston....that's what all those little grooves are for running horizontally around the skirt on a piston...is lost and you have metal to metal contact. The soft aluminum sticks to the cast iron and it starts from there. More and more aluminum sticks to the liner, the hole gets smaller, less and less oil film, and before you know it, knock, knock, knock, high blowby...'cause the departing aluminum is working it's way toward the top of the liner as it's peeled off and is now in the ring travel area...the piston starts flopping around, skirts get knocked off, turns sideways, takes out the liner, tries to use the block as a cylinder, but that doesn't work, the load of the vehicle going down the road keeps the engine turning, rods get bent up like pretzels and the engine is ventilated.

That's why you need piston cooling nozzles in an engine making H/P and being loaded. The NHC will do fine with turning up the fuel a bit just driving around with the wt of the vehicle. If you are gona pull 40k with it, my advice is to leave it alone and enjoy the ride.

The nozzles have nothing to do with idling the engine and, the above happens in the blink of an eye. I have been in the vehicle driving down the road and had multiple vehicles on the dyno do this...no worst case like above happened, I caught it in time ;-) except for the on road one, I was just on a ride along.

Floridianson

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Was just looking over an old thread and Will I will not argue the fact that the higher hp need piston skirt oilers. I just was trying to point out that the stock 250 without oilers acording to my injector man was just don't idle them too long.

ludgy

did you end up repowering with the 290 cummins?

i am in the process with a m880 and have run into a few problems, main being
-oil filter/cooler clearance issues (trying to source a remote filter setup)

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks