• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

2nd fuel tank installation 1985 M1028

bshupe

I just picked up my 1031 and so this tank swap is now front and center for me. I have a buddy who has a donor truck for me and it has the dual (gas) tanks, sending units and bed with dual doors. I want to take all of that off his hands if I can but I need to know if it will work for diesel.

I just re-read this whole thread and there are many "Im sure it will work" and one "the level switch is different". Have any of the various projects come to completion or at least plumbing and can shed some light on this?

It seems that worst case, I have to buy a sending unit for the new right side tank right so that it has diesel specific sending unit etc. I did notice that the tank selector solenoid is plastic and has the previously mentioned 6 ports for supply and return for each tank etc. etc. but does anyone know if that solenoid should be replaced to use with BioD? Part of my goal with this tank swap is to upgrade the whole fuel system to be compatible with BioD. I figure I might as well since most of it is going to be on the ground at some point anyway right?

Perhaps a separate build thread would be useful for this? I am also planning to stop by my friends house and take some photos of the right tank, mount and solenoid since he has the cab off and its all out in the open right now. Might be useful to those of you who are considering this. Ill try to get those pics up later today if I can.

~S~

86m1028

I just picked up my 1031 and so this tank swap is now front and center for me. I have a buddy who has a donor truck for me and it has the dual (gas) tanks, sending units and bed with dual doors. I want to take all of that off his hands if I can but I need to know if it will work for diesel.

I just re-read this whole thread and there are many "Im sure it will work" and one "the level switch is different". Have any of the various projects come to completion or at least plumbing and can shed some light on this?

It seems that worst case, I have to buy a sending unit for the new right side tank right so that it has diesel specific sending unit etc. I did notice that the tank selector solenoid is plastic and has the previously mentioned 6 ports for supply and return for each tank etc. etc. but does anyone know if that solenoid should be replaced to use with BioD? Part of my goal with this tank swap is to upgrade the whole fuel system to be compatible with BioD. I figure I might as well since most of it is going to be on the ground at some point anyway right?

Perhaps a separate build thread would be useful for this? I am also planning to stop by my friends house and take some photos of the right tank, mount and solenoid since he has the cab off and its all out in the open right now. Might be useful to those of you who are considering this. Ill try to get those pics up later today if I can.

~S~
I just picked up an early 80's chevy 3/4 ton with a 6.2 & dual tanks.
The bed will be coming off in the next 2 weeks or so.
I'll post pics of the plumbing & all.

IdahoPlowboy

I will be picking up a 1983 1/2 ton chevy with a 6.2 and duel tanks I may consider it as a parts truck to do a dual tank setup on my 1028, If I do this I will take pics also.

xenocath

searching.............
i have an 81 3/4 ton chevy i am doing the swap from soon also. i did purchase a diesel sender for the pass side tank will let ya know how it works out and any specifics i run across.

Goose2448

The deal with the shocks mounted on different sides is to reduce wheel hop. Not like you guys do burn outs or anything.

My Civy C20 had dual tanks and the 6 hose selector valve and cab mounted switch. I would search the junk yards or LMC Truck for parts. I never could get it to switch tanks, so I replace the switch, which I got from Auto Zone so check there too. 3 tanks would have been nice on my truck, that way I would only have to stop every 600 miles or so. Oh well, one day I will have another

xenocath

searching.............
they do make those manual valves with a remote cable set up seen em on a few boats it might save you a crawl under the truck depending on where you mount it.

jdknech

i set up a 100gl aux tank on my civy Z71 diesel.. i got a fuel slector valve "kit" from O'reilly auto parts, it came with the valve, wiring for the switch and the switch.. i think it was around $60 for the kit... oh, and its rated for 60psi (fuel pressure) so you can run a lift pump in line..

Skinny

they do make those manual valves with a remote cable set up seen em on a few boats it might save you a crawl under the truck depending on where you mount it.
Do you have a web link for that item?

That would be pretty trick because the valve only fits in so many spots.