• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

2nd gear - inop

tjcouch

I took my deuce on its first interstate trip - about 30 miles - just enough to get a feel for it and shake down any problems.

Unfortunately I found a couple of them.

After getting off the interstate the machine would not go into second gear. (both high and low ranges)

When I was returning home it seemed like the transmission was slipping in 4th and 5th when I got on the throttle or if it experienced a load (like driving up an overpass.) Which is to say, I could hear an increase in RPM but not speed; backing off the throttle a bit would allow it to "catch."

I hope I am explaining this clearly . . . . .

I welcome any speculations, thoughts, and hopefully solutions!

wallew

Steel Soldiers Supporter
It SOUNDS like the clutch is slipping. BUT, I am the LAST PERSON you want to take tranny advice from (really LOONG story).

You definately have a problem. I'm sure someone here can help.

jim

Trango

A slipping clutch will can and will make shifting difficult, and I've heard of it only affecting certain gears, especially lower gears. One thing with the deuce is that it probably uses a sliding gear to access 1 and R, which might catch with some grinding, but won't let you hit 2nd because of the synchro config. Just a brainstorm. When you can get it into 1st, does it grind like heck?

I don't know if you can tighten up the pressure plate on the deuce.... I doubt it, but that's one place to start. There should also be an inspection cover on the bottom of the bellhousing... one possible place to start.

Cheers
Bob

Trango

So is second gear TOTALLY inoperative now? Like, it won't go in at all?

Sounds like you need to pop the top cover. Second gear should be moving the middle synchro back.

Bob

tjcouch

Trango said:
So is second gear TOTALLY inoperative now? Like, it won't go in at all?
exactly . . . . . very strange . . . . it gave no warning signs - at least none that this novice could perceive.

MATT

I've noticed that the 2nd gear on some duces around here can be hard to "find." I have also noticed that engine RPM is important when shifting into 2nd. This may just be a coincidence but I would drive it a little more. To check the clutch disc for slippage, put the trans in 1st and slowly let your foot off the clutch pedal, the clutch should start to engauge around 3inches from the floor. If it engauges almost all the way out then you need a clutch. Another thing to check is clutch free play, engine off or running, trans in "N" with your hand, push on the clutch pedal and feel the amount of free play the clutch has before it start to get hard to push, there should be only approx. 2inches. Also with light duty cars/trucks, should work for the duce, put the trans in 4th, truck at a stop, let clutch out and try to accelerate, Engine should stall, it it doesn't, clutch is slipping.
Hope this helps.

rice

It definitely sounds like a slipping clutch. On your 2nd gear problem, do you have the right gear lube in the transmission?

rdixiemiller

Try shifting into 2nd gear with the engine shut off. If it goes into 2nd, leave it there, start the engine, and see if it will move in that gear. You definately need a clutch, and you may have a tranny issue. If you can't get it into 2nd with the engine switched off, pull the floor pan, pop the tranny cover, and see if you have a problem with the shift forks, or if the gears are bunged up. Luckily, deuce trannies are plentiful, and usually fairly reasonable.

brgmchevy

My shifter locked between 2-3 gear on the way out in the woods. It sheared the 2 woodruff keys on the mainshaft and seized the slider. I replaced the 2-3 sprag, keys and gasket set from Memphis. Its worked great eversince. It was easy to access through the top. I was able to limp home with 1-4-5 and hi-lo t-case shiftin.

Recovry4x4

LLM/Member 785
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Here's a shifting scenario I use when towing much weight with the deuce. Helps that 3/4 gap a bit, learned this from and old guy a while back. Run 1st thru 5th in low range, shift transfer to high and tranny back to 4th and use 4th and 5th again. The transfer case is synchronized.

brgmchevy

Yea hi-lo t-case shifting works pretty good when you need it. Well, I went from 1st hi to 4th lo, then into 4th hi, then 5th hi. It got me home and didn't have a bit of problems shifting on the fly.

rizzo

Recovry4x4 said:
Here's a shifting scenario I use when towing much weight with the deuce. Helps that 3/4 gap a bit, learned this from and old guy a while back. Run 1st thru 5th in low range, shift transfer to high and tranny back to 4th and use 4th and 5th again. The transfer case is synchronized.
ditto

ironhorsethegeneral

Problem #1 your 2nd gear on a deuce is the most abused gear on the truck. Chances are your 2nd gear synchros are getting worn. As long as you time your engine speed and road speed you should not have a problem. With a badly adjusted clouth or worn out one it will make it more difficult. You need to check your cross shaft bushing and make sure it is properly greased. There is one on both sides. Make sure there is no play in bushings (you might have to disconnect linkage to check properly). Take inspection plate off of bottom of bell housing and check throw out bearing. P.S. this is greaseable but not to much. If you have play consider replacing cluth if you can not get a good adjust of 2 to 2 1/2 inches of freeplay. If you can not get adjusted clutch is worn.

tjcouch

Thanks for all of the tips, gents.

Does anyone know off the top of their head which TM would be most helpful.

(I really don't know what I am doing - but I have a friend of a friend that was a Heavy/Wheel Mechanic. Unfortunately when he was in service they outsourced all tranny problems. But I am hoping with a good manual and mechanical sense we can plug through this one.)

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks