• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

2nd gear starts??

IronViking

I was told that 2nd gear stars would not hurt my Deuce,
Is this true?
I know 1st is real low and it seem to take off just fine in 2nd
but I dont want to do any damage to the clutch.
Thanks guys.

kinetichotshot

as long as you are not having to really slip the clutch, it shouldn't be a problem. Truckers rarely use the first gear (or couple of gears) depending on the weight of the load. In my pickup I extremely rarely use the first gear. No deuce specific knowledge here, but lots of experience with different manual transmissions and mechanics.
Laterz,
Gator
>|--|~

gimpyrobb

dumpsterlandingfromorbit!
If you have a sprague Tcase, NEVER skip first from reverse. Other than that, its really not good for it.

2nd gear

On the 1970 M35 non turbo I had 7 years ago it did not like 2nd gear starts. If it's a good roll then 2nd gear is fine but obviously with 1st being non synchroed your can't downshift to 1st on a rolling start anyway. 2nd gear you would have to slip the clutch a little and even with that the engine would lug pretty hard. I'd go with 1st gear starts, easier on the clutch and the main bearings. I like rowing through the gears so if it had a low low I'd start in that gear so I could hear the nice raspy multi exhaust note that much more!
Andy

Recovry4x4

LLM/Member 785
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
RE: 2nd gear

2nd gear starts in the tractor? No problem! 2nd gear starts in the crane? Ain't happening! Tractor weighs 12,560#, crane weighs 20,350#

m-35tom

Supporting Vendor
RE: 2nd gear

2nd gear is the preferred starting gear unless you are loaded. it your truck does not have any torque at those low rpms there is something wrong with the pump adjustment, and i have seen many that needed adjusting. starting in first is bad for the transmission because it is very hard to shift into 2nd without the chance of hitting reverse and this will do a LOT of damage. if you are loaded it is much beter to use 2nd gear and low transfer range.

sailor2000

TM 9-2320-209-10-1, TECHNICAL MANUAL, DEPARTMENTS OF THE ARMY AND THE AIR FORCE, Washington, DC, 26 September 1980, OPERATION, INSTALLATION OPERATOR
21/2-TON, 6X6, M44A1 AND AND REFERENCE DATA LEVEL M44A2 SERIES TRUCKS

Page 4-46, Placing and Keeping the Truck in Motion, "...Place FRONT TRANSMISSION gearshift lever (2) in position 1 or R, depending on direction that you want to go. NOTE: Position 1 (low gear) must always be used to place vehicle in forward motion..."

kinetichotshot

Re: RE: 2nd gear starts??

kinetichotshot said:
as long as you are not having to really slip the clutch, it shouldn't be a problem. Truckers rarely use the first gear (or couple of gears) depending on the weight of the load. In my pickup I extremely rarely use the first gear. No deuce specific knowledge here, but lots of experience with different manual transmissions and mechanics.
Laterz,
Gator
>|--|~
At least I know that I don't know!!! LOL
Learn something new every day!!
Laterz,
Gator
>|--|~

m-35tom

Supporting Vendor
and they say to use 90 wt oil also, but i wouldn't. the army is assuming worst case and driver can't think, i.e. loaded and off road. manual was probably written for gasser and never changed.

acetomatoco

In the end, the smell of burning caramel and will solve the debate, as there are only 4 possible approaches: The owner's preference, the right way, the wrong way, and the Gummint way, some of which may be combined. Happy motoring....

bottleworks

Re: RE: 2nd gear

m-35tom said:
starting in first is bad for the transmission because it is very hard to shift into 2nd without the chance of hitting reverse and this will do a LOT of damage.
This is simply operator error. Just because someone can't shift correctly, doesn't make the correct procedure "bad for the transmission".

jwaller

RE: Re: RE: 2nd gear

there is a reason it's called 1st. use it first.

I noticed it took a little slip to start my deuce in second with stock size 900 tires but when I went to the 1100's it took a lot and was clearly bad for the clutch.

start in 1st and work your way up.

IronViking

Thanks for all the input guys. I see that
peoples opnions differ on this.
I know that I dont want to replace my clutch.
Thats for sure.
The few times I tried 2nd gear starts it was solid
with no slippage.
Its a long way between 1st and 2nd on a hill.
With the two so far apart it seem 1st & Rev.
were grouped away from the other gears, almost
like "use these gears , or use these gears"

FreightTrain

Banned
If you go from 1st to reverse then you really suck at driving a stick.Sorry.But always start in 1st.It was designed as a 5 speed not a 4 speed.1st is there for a reason.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks