• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

2nd gear starts??

m-35tom

Supporting Vendor
seriously, i think a lot of issues come from the droop setting of the ip. it has a very large effect on very low rpm torque. i used to start in 3rd with the 3208 cat with almost no clutch slippage when on level roads, but it had 600+ ft lbs torque.

JRBAMATEX

You will find that you start in both depending on the situation. Unloaded and ready to get home will find you leaving that red light in 2nd with no problem. It'll catch quick and jump right out if you know what you are doing. No slippage. Loaded with any kind of significant weight use 1st. You will anyway cause 2nd just wont feel right. Don't be scared. You know if you are tearing it up or not.

Enjoy it...

JR

JohnnyReb

I'm with JT and Clinto on this one. I have to slip my clutch too much for comfort to start my Deuce out in second. But I've also done what m35a2cowner suggests and it works out real well for city driving. Shift pattern then is 2L-3L-4L-5L-4H-5H. You just upgraded to a fully synchronized six speed, and didn't turn a wrench! Works fine for me (thanks to Cranetruck for the hint on this one).

:ditto: I have driven all my deuces like this for years.....Never a problem and gives all the flexiblity needed for both loaded and unloaded........

FSBruva

OR! Start in 2nd LOW, and then bump it up to 2nd HIGH! 2nd low has almost the same ratio has 1st high, and is easier to get into when approaching the stoplight.

Again, 101 ways to skin a cat.

Starting with First is rightly emphasized in the manuals because of the earlier sprag unit for engaging the front axle. If you have an air shift or REB kit, your options are much more broad.

Matt

ptg530C

1st gear is the first gear to use from a stop. Forget hurting the clutch. Starting in 2nd gear will destroy the synchros on the 2nd gear mainshaft. Same goes for shifting WITHOUT using the clutch. You can do it but when you consider the possible damage that can occur from doing so, I start in 1st, do not shift without using the clutch and I NEVER downshift. Anyone care to point out the reasons for not downshifting to the civvies?

m-35tom

Supporting Vendor
i'll bite too. Starting in 2nd gear will destroy the synchros on the 2nd gear mainshaft??? i have at least as much experiance with this trans as anyone and i have no idea what you are saying..........

emr

Becoming a funny post, i guess i just dont understand starting in second, I split shift all the time its fun and gave me experience when i started pulling other trucks and the need to split shift under load really is there ,to split shift properly is an ART. takes practice, , BUT 1st is 1st, it may be cool to start in second, and one may get away with it forever, BUT most guys that are newbies and I was a real newbie big time once, its JUST NOT WORTH IT.Hitting reverse? Drive Your truck alot and ..think..and ..feel.. when U are doing it ,FEEL the truck, it will tell U what it wants!Its always worth it to ask, None of us started out bangin gears with out some effort,and practice....Randy

dmetalmiki

gearchanges

Agree with freight trane 101%! as for the other comment "cant change down to first...???)from 2nd"?? get practicing!..its fun AND satisfying to use ALL the gears when towing ::with my 5ton OR when I tow with the duece I shift DOWN to first plenty times!! like pulling into a gateway /field/ hilly parking position! AND I use the "split" up and down in the hilly regions here (lincoln) lincolnshire (U.K.)..P.S. NON of these shifts are done in a rush and are ALL with double - de- clutching. all this saves wear/tear/clutch & train.

JasonS

If you think that a sprag transfer case truck needs to start in first you need to review the operation of the transfer case reverse sprag engagement linkage. Or, you have a broken front sprag engagement spring in the front drive. This internal spring engages the forward direction sprag; not the transmission linkage. Back when I had a sprag, I started in second low all the time with no problems.

saddamsnightmare

February 5th, 2008.

PTQ530C:

I suspect that you are going to emphasize to us civillians the reason for not downshifting the deuce is likely the chance of missing the shift and ending up with a very uncontrollable truck, especially on steep grades with a loaded truck. However, I have noticed that if you are in the correct speed range and double clutch, or at least single cluthc and rev the engine, she (the M35A2) will catch and down shift to all but first gear (and first is impossible to do when moving at all). Since my part of Texas is fairly flat, I have no need to use low range on an empty truck, it just makes for more upshifts when there is no need. I am certain you guys with 3110/3118 Caterpillars probably don't need to worry about a heavy truck with a puny 140 HP White or Hercules like those of use with M35A2's that are normally aspirated. The normally aspirated engine can get throaty about 1750 - 2200 RPM's, but the smoke screen is monumental at any speed. They'll hear me coming, they just won't see me coming.

Regards,
Kyle F. McGrogan
1963 Mercedes Benz Unimog S404.114 (Swiss) (TALK ABOUT THROATY- 96HP all gas)
1971 Kaiser Jeep M35A2 Wo/W "Saddam's Nightmare" Vietnam and Desert Storm Deuce. [thumbzup]

sailor2000

I am sure it is posted somewhere, but while we are on the topic (kind of), what is the correct split shift sequence? From 4 to 5 hi range with a naturally aspirated engine is almost painful....

JohnnyReb

saddamsnightmare said:
February 5th, 2008.

PTQ530C:

I suspect that you are going to emphasize to us civillians the reason for not downshifting the deuce is likely the chance of missing the shift and ending up with a very uncontrollable truck, especially on steep grades with a loaded truck. However, I have noticed that if you are in the correct speed range and double clutch, or at least single cluthc and rev the engine, she (the M35A2) will catch and down shift to all but first gear (and first is impossible to do when moving at all). Since my part of Texas is fairly flat, I have no need to use low range on an empty truck, it just makes for more upshifts when there is no need. I am certain you guys with 3110/3118 Caterpillars probably don't need to worry about a heavy truck with a puny 140 HP White or Hercules like those of use with M35A2's that are normally aspirated. The normally aspirated engine can get throaty about 1750 - 2200 RPM's, but the smoke screen is monumental at any speed. They'll hear me coming, they just won't see me coming.

Regards,
Kyle F. McGrogan
1963 Mercedes Benz Unimog S404.114 (Swiss) (TALK ABOUT THROATY- 96HP all gas)
1971 Kaiser Jeep M35A2 Wo/W "Saddam's Nightmare" Vietnam and Desert Storm Deuce. [thumbzup]
Thanks for the post and advice. However, the way that PTQ530C worded the post would imply that it was something particular to these trucks that "civilians" would not normally know.

FSBruva

JasonS said:
If you think that a sprag transfer case truck needs to start in first you need to review the operation of the transfer case reverse sprag engagement linkage. Or, you have a broken front sprag engagement spring in the front drive. This internal spring engages the forward direction sprag; not the transmission linkage. Back when I had a sprag, I started in second low all the time with no problems.
The comment regarding sprags has to do with getting in the habit of starting in first, because if you go into any other gear (than first) from reverse, the sprag goes kablooey. So, sure, if you went from reverse to first, and didn't go back to reverse, then starting in second would be fine.

sailor2000-

RTFM.

Matt

BEASTMASTER

in my 5 ton you can't get to second from first without the truck coming to a stop.with a load on i start in second low and go to second high, then upshift normally.i've been driving rigs over 40 years and have never had to replace a clutch. it's all in the driver. A MAN HAS GOT TO KNOW HIS LIMITATIONS. :driver:

JasonS

FSBruva said:
JasonS said:
The comment regarding sprags has to do with getting in the habit of starting in first, because if you go into any other gear (than first) from reverse, the sprag goes kablooey. So, sure, if you went from reverse to first, and didn't go back to reverse, then starting in second would be fine.

sailor2000-

RTFM.

Matt
Matt, this is incorrect in my experience and mechanical understanding of the sprag transfercase. I have yet to see anyone give a technical explanation of why second gear starts are bad that doesn't violate the ACTUAL mechanical operation of said transfer case.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks