• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

2stroke oil?

Walmart sells 2 Cy. oil in gallon jugs ,I run 1 qu. in 10 Gal . I can hear the difference . :-D

My walmart only has marine 2stroke in gallons, but of course the deuce will burn anything, lol. and masking is only for emergencies, I've come close to having to do it for mileage and light wallet reasons once. But I made it back and was able to re-laden the wallet for some pump diesel :D

Besides, I'm waiting for the DOT guys to dip tanks at my school, every diesel there is running offroad, makes me laugh because they all get sketchy when a cop pulls in the parking lot to jump on the hondas that try to play race car driver on 100

ODdave

I think you need to edit out part of your post. Running alternative fuel is one thing but I dont think the site wants to condone the use of illegal fuel.
Anything You pour into that tank that didnt come from a taxing gas station and hit the road with is ILLEGAL. WMO WVO trans fluid, hydrolic fluid, trans fluid etc.

Kalashnikov

I'm running a little bit of WMO/WHO/two stroke mix from a boat. Seems a little sluggish at the top end, probably need more oil.

I guess it's possible if you fill out the forms and pay the tax on the dyed fuel. But then what's the point.
My buddy's dad is a plumber and has a couple drums of the red stuff from the oil tanks he's removed...

Anything You pour into that tank that didnt come from a taxing gas station and hit the road with is ILLEGAL. WMO WVO trans fluid, hydrolic fluid, trans fluid etc.
:ditto: You MUST pay road tax on ANY fuel used on the road.

patracy

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
A qt of ATF in the tank does the same thing. I know, now it's red. As long as you aren't commercial, you are OK.
Modern ATF isn't good on a diesel like it used to be. Modern ATF carries so many friction modifiers and detergents it actually isn't a good thing to be placed in the fuel system. Also many ATFs have synthetic base stock to them. While syn. oil can combust in a diesel engine, it (by design) doesn't burn as readily as a typical dyno base oil.

LEOs don't care if one is driving commercial or not when it comes to red fuel...

cranetruck

Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
With the ULSD they have comming out of the pumps nowadays I was thinking of throwing in some marine 2 stroke to help the deuces injection pump a bit. Was wondering if there was any harm in this, I'd use normal 2 stroke, but it only comes in tiny bottles, marine comes in gallon jugs.
That's what I have been doing...about a qt/tank full

I've heard that modern ATF is good for cleaning the fuel system, about a quart or 2 for a tank, run it through, then change the filters.

And today when hitting the fuelstation after the eldersburg breakfast I put a full 16oz in and it made quite a difference, still have to top end surging issue, but now it's more of a long term boost, great on interstates, but it really doesn't happen on most highways.

But as I've heard, run some ATF and change the filters after and she'll run like a dream. Someone else who had this problem told me about that trick

rlwm211

The process that creates the ULSD destroys the lubricating properties of Diesel Fuel and they discovered this in preliminary fleet testing by screwing up newer style injector pumps. They add a lubricant to the fuel when it is blended to help correct this problem. This would verify in my mind that the fact is that ULSD is damaging to older style rotary injector pumps.

As to adding oil to your fuel, the formulations for different oils are made that way for specific reasons. I have tried regular oil, different types of 2 stroke oil and have not tried ATF and will explain why as I go along. In my trial and error, plus research based method I have attempted to find what I see as the best performing additive, cost factored in, and also in terms of how smooth and quiet the engine seems in terms of the injector pump racket. I realize some of this is subjective on my part, but I will point out that this entire discussion is somewhat subjective. You take from this what you want.

2 stroke oils come in two basic varieties. Non-marine, and marine. In reading about why there are two types of this kind of oil I also found out that the properties of these oils vary greatly. First is the nature of the use. A 2 stroke engine used in a typical leaf blower or chain saw is an on again, off again engine in terms of duty cycle and load. Temperatures in the combusition chambers vary with this load and the clearances in an aircooled engine are greater than in a non air cooled engine. Contrast this with the marine environment. A marine 2 stroke engine will be brought up to rpm and potentially run at that rpm for hours. Constant demand on power output as well as very consistent temperatures in a range much closer to that of a deuce engine.

The are large differences in the amount of ash deposits being left by each type with the more highly refined marine oil, especially the type that meets the most recent spec TCW3 as being the cleanest burning type of fuel additive in terms of 2 stroke oil. The increased stability and design for higher continuous operating temperatures is another of the primary resons why the 2 stroke marine oil is a preferred additive for the diesel.

I do not use atf and it is because modern atf has friction ENHANCERS which would tell me that as a fuel lube it is actually adding to one of the problems I am trying to deal with: excess friction in my injector pump. Additionally, ATF is thicker and is not designed to blend evenly with fuel.

I have tried using new motor oil as an additive and found that I could not replicate the results I was getting with 2 stroke oil at the same additve amounts. I doubled my addition of oil and still had not achieved the same effect. With the cost of Marine 2 stroke oil being as cheap as it is and also that it comes in incremented gallon jugs makes using the 2 stroke oil easier.

Lastly, I use about a quart to every 20-25 gallons or about 2 quarts to the tank full. At this rate of mix I hear literally nothing other than the engine diesel sound and none of the injector pump clatter that is present without the additive.

I was slow to come to this party as far as believing that one needs to add lubricant to the fuel and initially tried it, stopped and came back to adding oil, 2 stroke marine to be precise, to my fuel. My truck has run 6K miles in the last 20 months and since I started feeding the steady diet of 2 stroke marine oil, has run strong, and reliably.

I also add Power Service white bottle to my fuel to act as a conditioner and cetane improver.

I suggest that anyone who is concerned about the lack of lubricity in the modern diesel fuel do some web searching about the development of the ULSD fuel and the problems that were encountered and everything I have mentioned including the report from the Diesel Place will show up prominently in the results.

RL

Last edited:

panshark

Just wanted to bounce an idea off of all of the site members who have the multi-fuel engines...how would daily life/driving our MV's change if an article was published in a cop magazine about the guy who was too cool for school when it came to paying road taxes? Imagine, the excuse is given about running ATF (that's why it's red, right?) and about how the judge doesn't buy the story. Throw in an authoritative quote from an IRS agent, and you've got a nationwide recipe for how to pull over privately owned military vehicles. (If only to see if the guy that's behind the wheel is pulling the same dirt-bag stunt that he read about in the magazine.)

I'm not calling anyone a dirtbag, just saying it might be good to keep a low "fuel profile."

My duece can probably jump creeks just like in the Dukes of Hazzard, but that doesn't mean that I try to do it.

4x4 Forever

Emerald Shellback
Steel Soldiers Supporter
I had a nice scare last year concerning the injectors on my duramax. I thought 3 had given up the ghost, diagnostics at 1 dealership and 2 private shops. When I took the truck to the last place, they kept, tested, and ran it for 2 weeks (I work offshore). They could find nothing wrong with the engine other than the injectors did seem louder than usual. I got the truck back with no charge but with a stern 'warning'. I was told to use standyne or I would be coming back for major work.

After a nice little conference, they and I argreed that running marine o/b (2 stroke) oil mixed in at all times and everyother fillup with Standyne would be best. This way I would keep the lubricity at all times and the stanadyne would keep everything clean.

I have been using 1qt to a fill up of 25 gals of diesel. I have put about 7000 miles on the truck and it is quiet, almost too quiet. Also, it cleaned up the 'mosquito truck' syndrome when I used to nail it.

My vote would be for Marine o/b (2 stroke) oil.

As far as those that like 'alternate' fuels, sometime in mid 2012, ALL diesel fuel in the US will be ULSD. Marine diesel is now less than 500ppm sulphur, the last lot we got (this morning) has a lab readout of 421ppm sulphur....

Last edited:

xenocath

searching.............
I use evinrude johnson tcw3 outboard motor oil it turns my fuel a nice purple color i mix in 1 quart every time i refuel no matter at empty or half or whatever it does not smoke and it quiets the motor alot. i run a bottle of diesel cleen once in awhile but thats about it.

KsM715

And I thought I was done mixing gas when I quite riding 2stoke dirtbikes 20 years age, until I read RL's post.

Oh and what panshark said is the exact reason I said what I said my earlier post. No need to give the hangman the rope he's gonna hang you with.

Last edited:

patracy

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
I won't get into the marine vs. non-marine 2 stroke argument. I've ran the cheaper non-marine for years now with very positive results. (And cheaper!) And I've torn apart engines that had been running it (Coolant passage cracked on the block, not related to the fuel/combustion system.) and seen zero issues. Also the injectors have been pulled on my truck several times. Zero issues there too.

The one thing I will say is that using other "additives" is counterproductive to adding 2 stroke oil. There's a reason they "clean" out the fuel system of a diesel. They're comprised of solvents typically. So using both tends to cancel each other out.

If you've got a favorite 2 stroke oil or additive, go search for it's name and MSDS in google. You'll find out what formulates it. In the case of the walmart supertech 2 stroke oil, you'll also find out that pennzoil actually makes it. :shock:

rlwm211

I prefer the marine two stroke oil because I believe it mixes better with the fuel up here in the cold. I would imagine that non marine oil mixes fine down south.
I did notice a distinct and audible difference in how my engine sounded and also a slightly smoother power curve with the marine oil.
As I mentioned a lot of this is subjective and I have encouraged everyone to research and to learn as much as possible about the ULSD. It is the enemy of older diesel engines.

Just my two cents

RL

patracy

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
Agreed. I've had to reseal a few VE pumps due to ULSD drying out the seals. It is remarkable at how quiet diesel engines become with a highly lubed fuel.

flyxpl

Hearing that Penzoil makes the Walmart brand two stroke oil is good news to me . For a low priced oil Penziol has a very good reputation in the ultralight / experimental aircraft industry for being used in two-stroke engines wich are generally ran at 80% + power settings for long periods of time , with good results at teardown / rebuild time .

mark salanco

Steel Soldiers Supporter
After reading these post, I started adding 2 quarts of engine oil to each tank of the ultra low sulfur diesel fuel. I have noticed a big difference in how much better it starts in cold weather, and seems to run better as well. Not sure why it starts a lot better in the cold, but I like it. It was about 16 degrees out the other morning and it started like it was summer time, no starting fluid or manifold heater.

Atwater

i ran a quart of two stroke per tank-up in my m1008 for awhile was hard to tell if starting or running was improved. it did seem i was loosing a little mileage. may try it again this summer to double check.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks