• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

3/4" to 1" towbar adapter bushing

max1008

I picked up these bushings from Mcmaster-Carr. It found it very hard to find 1" towbar feet and the 3/4" feet are easily available. $13 each.
[h=3]The part number for Mcmaster is 3741K11- Oil-Lubricated Bronze Sleeve Bearing[/h]for 3/4" Shaft Diameter, 1" OD, 1-1/2" Length

IMG_20150204_212851.jpgIMG_20150204_212907.jpg

Keith_J

I found the same bushings at Tractor Supply back in 2012, now those parts assortments are no more as TSC. Did an inventory reduction and ended that rack jobber.

These bushings work great, flat towing the M1031 for 1500 miles was relatively easy. They had minimal wear after that trip so they should be good forever.

max1008

I wasn't sure if this has been covered, but I guess its always good to have an up-to-date part number.

I haven't had a change to check the fitment on an m35 or any other models.

goldneagle

I got a reducer from Tractor Supply in MS. They had it in the nut and bolt isle. Fit perfect. Using it for M715 tow bar feet so I can use the 3/4" feet along with it. I figure the 3/4" pins are plenty for a M715.

KsM715

What are you towing with it? I would be careful towing anything large that required 1" pins. Im no engineer but I wonder how much strength your losing by down sizing the pins?

goldneagle

Where can I find the feet for the tow bar? mine didn't come with any and was connected straight to the shackles
If you have a medium tow bar I have an extra set of 3/4" feet I can sell you. $80 shipped Priority Mail. If you plan to tow a larger much heavier truck you will need a set of 1" feet. I do not have any spare 1" feet.

porkysplace

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I wasn't sure if this has been covered, but I guess its always good to have an up-to-date part number.

I haven't had a change to check the fitment on an m35 or any other models.
I don't think a 3/4 inch pin would be safe on a M35 or larger. CUCV 's and similar size trucks it will probably work.

Recovry4x4

LLM/Member 785
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
For your consideration on pin size. The length adjustments on the medium towbar use 3/4 pins. Just sayin.

goldneagle

People seem to forget that little fact.
Point well made sir. I do wonder if there are different forces applied tot the pins at the shackle mount than at the tow bar extension point. I am sure an engineer could shed some light on that. There is no twisting force applied at the extension but there might be a twist at the shackle mount when you make turns with the lead vehicle.

Last edited:

swbradley1

Modertator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
I suspect that because the bar connects at the pintle at an angle there is more shear forces at play on the outside edge of the feet on the 1 inch pins. One side of the pin is trying to shear towards the back on the inside and towards the front on the outside.

Someone with a finite element modeling program on their computer could do an analysis for us. :)

Keith_J

The forces are the same, double shear. No bending in the horizontal plane as they pivot in that axis. When lead vehicle is turning, the double shear is partially reversed which in no way compromises strength. Now if one foot fails, a much different situation happens.

Check tow bars at every stop and remember safety chains.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks