• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

3 fire dpt M548s w/glamour shots

Maverick1701

I was driving home from dallas, TX to lubbock, TX yesterday and noticed some MVs peeking out from behind a building (I try to keep my eye out for old vehicles). I made the block and found three M548s! (along with a few trucks)
The local FD had outfitted them for fire use. Here are some glamour shots:

20180526_164200_HDR_resized.jpg20180526_164152_resized.jpg20180526_163936_resized.jpg20180526_163921_HDR_resized.jpg20180526_163910_resized.jpg20180526_163853_HDR_resized.jpg20180526_163838_resized.jpg20180526_163826_HDR_resized.jpg

NDT

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Looks like they gave up on them. Waiting for TFS to take them back to Lufkin. Where they will continue to sit. And never be auctioned. And eventually be turned in to DRMO to be cut up. Sad.

USAFSS-ColdWarrior

Chaplain
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
I knew exactly where you were even before I enlarged the pics for viewing :shock:

You were within yards of the HASKELL (Texas) FUNERAL HOME (on the town square) which is owned by the same feller who has been owner of the funeral home here in San Angelo where I work. He recently sold the funeral home here (but remains on board as a funeral director) and STILL owns the Haskell location. Christina is the funeral director there in Haskell and HER HUSBAND is the General Manager of STEELE FIRE APPARATUS there in Haskell.

I am quite familiar with those Tracked Vehicles and, sadly, their impending fate.

Under our former presidential administration, ALL tracked MV's on loan to PD's & FD's were to be shipped directly to a TARGET RANGE for live-fire destruction. In Texas, that meant skipping the layover in Lufkin. BUT, with the present President's rescinding certain former Executive Orders, these MV's are again in a "holding pattern" - i.e.: RETAIN IN PLACE.

Edit: Added "HER HUSBAND". Oops, no, Christina is NOT the GM of the fire truck shop - LOL

Last edited:

kubotaman

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Looks like they gave up on them. Waiting for TFS to take them back to Lufkin. Where they will continue to sit. And never be auctioned. And eventually be turned in to DRMO to be cut up. Sad.
Hasn't GSA sold off M548s before?

USAFSS-ColdWarrior

Chaplain
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
I am quite familiar with those Tracked Vehicles and, sadly, their impending fate.

Under our former presidential administration, ALL tracked MV's on loan to PD's & FD's were to be shipped directly to a TARGET RANGE for live-fire destruction. In Texas, that meant skipping the layover in Lufkin. BUT, with the present President's rescinding certain former Executive Orders, these MV's are again in a "holding pattern" - i.e.: RETAIN IN PLACE.
Hasn't GSA sold off M548s before?
Why yes, it's even possible that MY 548 came from NC Forestry. But Texas is by the book. Demil.
WARNING: This post, and this entire thread IS NOT intended to be "POLITICAL" but it does address actions by a seated elected GOVERNMENTAL OFFICIALS regardless of any political party affiliation and their specific actions and orders as they pertain to the MV Hobby and the SS Forum's Members' interests.
THEREFORE - - - DO NOT make any posts that imply, state or infer ANYTHING of a POLITICAL NATURE for or against those elected officials involved.
PLEASE refer to the SS RULES regarding Political Posts if compelled to "go political" on this topic.

In the interest of factual reporting AND educational transparency, I offer the following:

In MAY 2015 then-President Obama signed EXECUTIVE ORDER #13688 effectively recalling ALL tracked vehicles ON LOAN to Law Enforcement, Fire Protection, and other organizations. Here are the summarized FACTS of the impact of EXECUTIVE ORDER #13688:

https://www.bja.gov/programs/LE-Equipment-WG-Final-Report.pdf

HOWEVER, AUGUST 28, 2017 President signed EXECUTIVE ORDER #13809 which for all intent and purpose RESCINDED President Obama's E.O.#13688 !!!

Here is the WIKI on E.O. #13809:

https://en.wikisource.org/wiki/Executive_Order_13809

And a reasonably apolitical commentary on E.O.#13809's implications can be found here:

https://anthonybrown.house.gov/medi...trump-s-military-surplus-executive-order-does

I hope that you take the time to READ and understand the mechanics of these EXECUTIVE ORDERS and their impact upon the release of tracked vehicles of other items of public safety interest, including the STAND DOWN STATUS regarding the DEMIL (destruction) of such items.

kubotaman

Steel Soldiers Supporter
WARNING: This post, and this entire thread IS NOT intended to be "POLITICAL" but it does address actions by a seated elected GOVERNMENTAL OFFICIALS regardless of any political party affiliation and their specific actions and orders as they pertain to the MV Hobby and the SS Forum's Members' interests.
THEREFORE - - - DO NOT make any posts that imply, state or infer ANYTHING of a POLITICAL NATURE for or against those elected officials involved.
PLEASE refer to the SS RULES regarding Political Posts if compelled to "go political" on this topic.

In the interest of factual reporting AND educational transparency, I offer the following:

In MAY 2015 then-President Obama signed EXECUTIVE ORDER #13688 effectively recalling ALL tracked vehicles ON LOAN to Law Enforcement, Fire Protection, and other organizations. Here are the summarized FACTS of the impact of EXECUTIVE ORDER #13688:

https://www.bja.gov/programs/LE-Equipment-WG-Final-Report.pdf

HOWEVER, AUGUST 28, 2017 President signed EXECUTIVE ORDER #13809 which for all intent and purpose RESCINDED President Obama's E.O.#13688 !!!

Here is the WIKI on E.O. #13809:

https://en.wikisource.org/wiki/Executive_Order_13809

And a reasonably apolitical commentary on E.O.#13809's implications can be found here:

https://anthonybrown.house.gov/medi...trump-s-military-surplus-executive-order-does

I hope that you take the time to READ and understand the mechanics of these EXECUTIVE ORDERS and their impact upon the release of tracked vehicles of other items of public safety interest, including the STAND DOWN STATUS regarding the DEMIL (destruction) of such items.
From my understanding, and searching within the text of the first link, Forestry and Fire Dept vehicles were NOT affected by Obama's executive order. A ctrl+F search through it with the keyword "fire" and forestry", no results were returned relating to Fire Dept use or Forestry Service. The executive order only affected LEO agencies. That is why while armored M113s and variants were rounded up by TACOM, M548s used by Forestry continued to be used. As for release, ARMORED vehicles like M113 variants have not been released from PDs or LEOs in atleast 15 years (legally with paperwork), UNARMORED vehicles like M548s have been sold off as recently as last year by the State of Louisiana with full government release paperwork

USAFSS-ColdWarrior

Chaplain
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
From my understanding, and searching within the text of the first link, Forestry and Fire Dept vehicles were NOT affected by Obama's executive order. A ctrl+F search through it with the keyword "fire" and forestry", no results were returned relating to Fire Dept use or Forestry Service. The executive order only affected LEO agencies. That is why while armored M113s and variants were rounded up by TACOM, M548s used by Forestry continued to be used. As for release, ARMORED vehicles like M113 variants have not been released from PDs or LEOs in atleast 15 years (legally with paperwork), UNARMORED vehicles like M548s have been sold off as recently as last year by the State of Louisiana with full government release paperwork
You are correct, Sir.
However, as is often the case, the stipulation recalling "tracked vehicles" was applied by the former administration beyond the scope of the Executive Order. A very broad brush was used in applying the recall of ALL DOD 1033 equipment, even beyond the specified LE community. Somehow in the precipitated "RULES" implementing the Executive Order they arbitrarily "forgot" the "armored" part of the TRACKED VEHICLE description and went only with the descriptive "tracked system instead of wheels". Ultimately, this larger user umbrella covered ALL recipients regardless of whether they were Law Enforcement or something else, what program provided said equipment, AND they scooped up ALL Tracked Vehicles whether armored or not.

This broad mis-interpretation by some would say "overzealous gun-grabbing officials" was the proverbial straw that broke the back of the prior administration's EO, and thus the catalyst that spawned the current administrations rescinding of the former EO by issuing the latter EO. The easiest way to clean up the far-reaching propagated "RULES" was to remove all the teeth from, and in fact kill the prior administration's EO that birthed the mess in the first place.

Some of the areas overly applied in the field can be found in that original link's references:
1. Page 8: CONTROLLED EQUIPMENT
2. Page 11: DOD 1033 PROGRAM
3. Page 12: "TRACKED ARMORED VEHICLES" and "...tracked system instead of wheels."
Additionally, for any entity that wanted to KEEP any tracked vehicles or other equipment previously issued Page 15 places the BURDEN ON THE USER TO JUSTIFY why they want to keep a prohibited item, how it would be used, and then submit their request for approval. Simply, that was too much for the users to have to swallow. They could tell that the feds were writing the rules and acting as judge and jury so they - including the Texas Forest Service - simply rolled over and began surrendering their hardware. They chose not to fight that fight - a fight that just could not be won.
It should also be noted that some entities cowered so readily that they even surrendered tracked bulldozers, ditch-witches, and snow machines just to avoid the "justification paperwork" they were told they'd have to submit. The threat of invoking federal penalties was used to intimidate and manipulate State and Local users beyond the Executive Order's scope of authority.

Yes, most of this was beyond Constitutional Authority and/or Executive Privilege to rule by the signing of Orders.
Yes, governmental subordinates exercised what is known as "over-reach" far beyond the verbiage of the Executive Order they claimed authority under to achieve an agenda to which they subscribed.
No, checks and balances within our system DID NOT trigger appropriate actions... at least not until the administrations changed and a fresh corrective Executive Order was issued.

These are the indisputable facts. Nothing here is to be interpreted as "political", but as statements on the historical operations of governance only.

We know two things about the TRUTH:
1. The truth is going to hurt.
2. The truth shall make you free.

L1A1

Thanks for posting the pics of the M548s. I know I could use the tail gate off the red one for mine 2cents...... I think mine was a former NC game & inland fisheries vehicle. At least that's what the seller told me...

Matt

LonestarFisher

Wouldn't the local fire department be required to auction surplus equipment to the public?

USAFSS-ColdWarrior

Chaplain
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Wouldn't the local fire department be required to auction surplus equipment to the public?
No sir.

In this case, these MVs are ON LOAN from the Texas Forest Service to the local FDs and VFDs. Upon retirement they go back to the TFS ONLY.

In the case of tracked vehicles, President Obama issued an Executive Order to RECALL ALL TRACKS and DESTROY THEM... Even if they were still functional and fully operational.

(Per website rules DO NOT make ANY political comments about this action by the then-seated President in the Executive Office of the United States,nor any current officeholder.)

LonestarFisher

No sir.

In this case, these MVs are ON LOAN from the Texas Forest Service to the local FDs and VFDs. Upon retirement they go back to the TFS ONLY.

In the case of tracked vehicles, President Obama issued an Executive Order to RECALL ALL TRACKS and DESTROY THEM... Even if they were still functional and fully operational.

(Per website rules DO NOT make ANY political comments about this action by the then-seated President in the Executive Office of the United States,nor any current officeholder.)

Well.... That certainly is a shame. Politics change like the wind so maybe we'll live to see this change once again.

Maple Leaf Eh

Two things - I went to the link equipment provider's page. Why the 4" tubing exoskeleton on some vehicles? Do the operators expect to push down buildings or move trees?

Secondly, the loan vs ownership dilemma is well known to Cadillac Gage V100 owners. The vehicles are wheeled, but are 1/4" armour plate. Many left Uncle Sam's loving care and attention for repurposing with small and large town law enforcement departments. People retire. Arrangements are forgotten. Paperwork is purged or misfiled. No one knows what to do, only 'it came from the gubmint'. They won't want it back, its old and obsolete. Can't get parts anymore. Budgets are tight. The not too surprising attitude is possession is 9/10ths of the law is strong.

Maverick1701

Two things - I went to the link equipment provider's page. Why the 4" tubing exoskeleton on some vehicles? Do the operators expect to push down buildings or move trees?

Secondly, the loan vs ownership dilemma is well known to Cadillac Gage V100 owners. The vehicles are wheeled, but are 1/4" armour plate. Many left Uncle Sam's loving care and attention for repurposing with small and large town law enforcement departments. People retire. Arrangements are forgotten. Paperwork is purged or misfiled. No one knows what to do, only 'it came from the gubmint'. They won't want it back, its old and obsolete. Can't get parts anymore. Budgets are tight. The not too surprising attitude is possession is 9/10ths of the law is strong.
The exo cages are used just for that reason. If the 548s were used a brush trucks (which is how they were painted/outfitted) then they would be driving through fields, trees, etc while fighting fires. My local VFD adds exo cages to their M35A3s, and M35A2s to protect the firemen/women & the machine while baja-ing through fields/woods/etc.

Karl kostman

Steel Soldiers Supporter
You know guys I dont know how all this works but a friend of mine found a Deuce from a small town in MN fire dept. he was driving around and saw the Deuce having its water tank removed and there was a M35A3 parked in the back. He went around and talked to the fire chief and the Deuce was given to them by the fed. and they were also given the A3 as a replacement for the Deuce, he struck a deal with the fire chief right there and got a pretty darned nice Deuce for 1,400.00, just had to wait a week to come get it so they could finish stripping off all the equipment. Are we POSITIVE that nothing could be done to strike a deal on these??
Karl

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks