• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

3-Lever Light Switch Panel BRT Tripping

Kruzer022

Hello, I have a 2007 1097R1 with 3 lever light switch. I've only had it about a month. When I originally got it all lights worked except brake lights didn't work (Running lights and blinkers worked) and the panel lights didn't work in either position. I bought a cheap replacement and the brake lights now work.

When I turn the switch to panel dim nothing happens. When I turn the switch to panel brt there is a click sound and all lights turn off (Headlights, taillights..) without any panel lights coming on at all. When I turn the switch off and wait about 10 seconds, it will reset and let me turn headlights back on. I pulled the gauge panel out and didn't find anything suspicious. I thought maybe I got a bad switch and ordered a different one. Same issue with second, new, switch. I have also installed a new auxiliary ground kit.

Any suggestions?

Mogman

Staff member
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Welcome to the forum!!
Junk that cheap switch and get a OEM switch, also check your panel light circuit for a short.
Many have had bad experiences with the cheap Chicom switches, there are very few cheap knockoff components that actually work correctly, it would be a damn shame to burn down your investment because you wanted to save a few bucks.

MarkM

CODE BROWN...It's all going to sh~t !
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Those knockoff switches have a miserable track record. Replace that first.

Mark

Mogman

Staff member
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Hello, I have a 2007 1097R1 with 3 lever light switch. I've only had it about a month. When I originally got it all lights worked except brake lights didn't work (Running lights and blinkers worked) and the panel lights didn't work in either position. I bought a cheap replacement and the brake lights now work.

When I turn the switch to panel dim nothing happens. When I turn the switch to panel brt there is a click sound and all lights turn off (Headlights, taillights..) without any panel lights coming on at all. When I turn the switch off and wait about 10 seconds, it will reset and let me turn headlights back on. I pulled the gauge panel out and didn't find anything suspicious. I thought maybe I got a bad switch and ordered a different one. Same issue with second, new, switch. I have also installed a new auxiliary ground kit.

Any suggestions?
Because the panel lights have never worked and the switch you have now indicates you have a short in the panel light circuit (would likely have burned out the internal resistor for dim if they are shorted) I would definitely troubleshoot the panel lamps before doing anything else, especially installing another switch or you could damage the third switch you install..