• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

3 phase power distribution for field operations

MrShawn305

So I got to thinking, since I'm the proud new owner of a MEP-805B, I need to think of a way to distribute power. I bought it with the intention of being able to power the field operations of an off road search and rescue outfit I volunteer for. For instance, if we get dispatched to a lost hiker in the Guadalupe mountains (happened last year), I would like to be able to power the mobile dispatch and operations unit (probably going to be an enclosed trailer with comms equipment and A/C, still working on putting one together), a staging area with lighting, and a trailer or tent with an air conditioning unit for volunteers to take a break and cool off, eat, sleep, etc. Depending on what's going on (lost hiker, up to natural disaster response, terrorist attack, etc), a field hospital may also come into play. I would like to be able to power everything as needed.

Now, before I got the 805, I was wanting a MQ whisperwatt 25. The plan was to run 3 phase 480 to a transformer and distribution panel to step it down to 120/208. This would allow me for longer cable runs with smaller cable. I know the 805 does 416, so does anyone know anything about what the 416v was used for in the military? Are there step down transformers that I should consider for this application?

As for what I currently have in mind, I was thinking a dolly with a 3 phase load panel attached to it. Running the 805B in 120/208 mode with #1 welding cable (100' per phase, 100' ground as well) to the load panel and then a bunch of various outlets attached to it underneath. A ground rod for the load panel, and one at the genset of course. Outlets such as a few 15 amp 120v, several 240 volt twistlock (L14-30) as well as a couple of the 50 amp twist lock to run power to spider boxes. Maybe a dryer style 50 amp as well as a welder style 50 amp just in case we need to run something like that in the field.

Really looking for input from people to see what could be improved upon or maybe just suggestions to make the setup more efficient. I really don't want to have to figure a bunch of stuff out in the field, really just trying to make it as "plug and play" as possible.

Coug

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Thanks for the manuals. I actually just picked up one of these power distribution boxes 2 weeks ago. It looks like it's never been used, and had the ground rods and plastic wrench with it as well.
According to the sticker from govplanet, the government paid nearly $34k for these things.

Coug

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Indeed. They are costly. If you do not have all the TM's for the D-System, say something. I might have them.
The ones you just posted are the only TMs I have related to it.
Not that concerned at the moment, my only generator is an MEP-802 so not like I have an actual use for it right now. Mostly I bought it because for that price, I got a nice set of new ground rods for cheap, with the box thrown in.

MrShawn305

Here are a few Tm's for looking at. I have a large file on distro systems. But can not up load it all here. If you want to read it, send me your email.
I had no idea those existed! They are cool as heck it looks like, but it looks like they use a specific "proprietary" hookup to go out to the end load. Everything I will need to power will be commercial/consumer style electrical hookups. Perhaps RV style would be the most specific. Unless I'm looking at the TM wrong?

MrShawn305

The ones you just posted are the only TMs I have related to it.
Not that concerned at the moment, my only generator is an MEP-802 so not like I have an actual use for it right now. Mostly I bought it because for that price, I got a nice set of new ground rods for cheap, with the box thrown in.
Interested in selling it without the ground rods? PM if so, and we'll see if we can make it worth our while.

Daybreak

2 Star Admiral
Steel Soldiers Supporter
NOTE: Using a MEP generator in the field - ground rod in place and connected to generator ground. G - N buss bar in place. No other grounding point.

MrShawn305

NOTE: Using a MEP generator in the field - ground rod in place and connected to generator ground. G - N buss bar in place. No other grounding point.
Good to know, I was wondering about that. Figured on grounding the gen, and grounding the panel as well. I will just ground the gen and leave the buss bar in place. I found a load panel I think I'm going to go with. I'm in paint 3d right now drawing up the backboard to figure on how many outlets I'm going to install. Here is what I got for a panel at the moment:

MrShawn305

Here's a quick and dirty sketch of how I want my board to look with all the electrical boxes on it. The two 50 amps on the top left are for a welder and compressor should it be needed, the third is a 50 amp RV plug. Followed by 3x 30 amp RV plugs, then a 30 amp twistlock and two 50 amp twistlocks (to use commercially available spider boxes and cords). After that I just have banks of 20 amp 120v GFCI outlets. This may change as, if I am looking at things correctly, this will occupy all spaces in the above mentioned panel. This is probably too many 120v outlets, but if we respond to a hurricane or something like that and need places for people to plug random things into, I'd like to have the outlets available.

Genpanellayout.jpg

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks