• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

3 speed oil filter help

Issati

Hello so I got the fluid in the air intake issue.
I bypassed the TC and still the same problem .
Dropped the pan to change the O-rings on the Transmission oil filter and this is what I see.
Does this look right.

The filter can move up and down, please see the video.

Thank you so much for any help in advance.

osteo16

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Hello so I got the fluid in the air intake issue.
I bypassed the TC and still the same problem .
Dropped the pan to change the O-rings on the Transmission oil filter and this is what I see.
Does this look right.

The filter can move up and down, please see the video.

Thank you so much for any help in advance.
Pretty normal... No issue there that I see.

lpcoating

Supporting Vendor
Yes, that is normal - the filter "floats". I'd be careful pulling the filter off the way you did. That tube is plastic and can break.

papakb

Most trans shops recommend putting 2 O-rings on the plastic tube where it goes into the transmission housing. This allows the filter to "float" around like in your video but still stay sealed to the housing. It basically lays in the bottom of the pan.

Issati

So here is the question for you guys:

I changed the transmission filter and I placed ONE new O-ring on the of the plastic connection (not 2 as was suggested in the earlier post), drove the car around and same thing.
A new symptom that has started (as of last week and existed before the filter change) is if I floor the gas, for maximum acceleration, the car doesn't change gears, it gets to 40 miles and then there is a loud nose from transmission.
However, if I slowly accelerate it gets to 55 miles with no problems and the transmission sound can only be heard if I go to 60 MPH

What do you guys thing.

Milcommoguy

Supporting Vendor
So here is the question for you guys:

I changed the transmission filter and I placed ONE new O-ring on the of the plastic connection (not 2 as was suggested in the earlier post), drove the car around and same thing.
A new symptom that has started (as of last week and existed before the filter change) is if I floor the gas, for maximum acceleration, the car doesn't change gears, it gets to 40 miles and then there is a loud nose from transmission.
However, if I slowly accelerate it gets to 55 miles with no problems and the transmission sound can only be heard if I go to 60 MPH

What do you guys thing.
Free guessing here...What is the fluid in the air filter? Couldn't see see the bolt clearly. (is it correct never know) Filter does wiggle wobble as shown.

Check plastic tube for out of round and cracks. Two O rings OK. Some think a better fit up to not suck air on a bad pick up tube. One does not want air.

Fluid at fill full line? Dextron 3. Factory oil pan? Kick down circuit good? Check connection on side of trans and switch on IP for proper operation. How about the modulator / pull cable? Shifter linkage set to engage proper gear detent? Did you find extra parts in the pan?

More question than answers as there a lot going on.

Might be time to AAMCO... BEEP BEEP, CAMO

Last edited:

Issati

This is just to put this info out there.
My 3 speed 6.2 litters HMMWV started leaking oil from transmission last week. Did the TC bypass and oil filter change and the problem was not solved. Talked to a mechanic and he asked if there was any restriction is the air intake (like a dead bird or a rabbit stock in the intake) . I had just changed the intake and put a snorkel on this truck. I told him about it and he said go back and see if there's anything wrong in there like if I dropped a tool or a tissue in there when installing it.

He said if the car cannot breathe easily it will have to suck the air forcefully and it could then suck some of its oil from the transmission into the air filter.

I checked my snorkel and as he predicted the cap was all the way down on the tube restricting the air flow. I moved the cap up a little and tightened it and the problem was solved.

I just wanted to post this so Hopefully this can help someone in the future.

Thank you for all that shared their knowledge here and cheers.

Action

My 3 speed 6.2 litters HMMWV started leaking oil from transmission last week. Did the TC bypass and oil filter change and the problem was not solved. Talked to a mechanic and he asked if there was any restriction is the air intake (like a dead bird or a rabbit stock in the intake) . I had just changed the intake and put a snorkel on this truck. I told him about it and he said go back and see if there's anything wrong in there like if I dropped a tool or a tissue in there when installing it.

He said if the car cannot breathe easily it will have to suck the air forcefully and it could then suck some of its oil from the transmission into the air filter.

I checked my snorkel and as he predicted the cap was all the way down on the tube restricting the air flow. I moved the cap up a little and tightened it and the problem was solved.

Did the air restriction gauge on your dash work like it is supposed to? Push the little button on the bottom of lense and see if the level drops.

Mullaney

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Supporting Vendor

Action is referring to the thing on the dash that is supposed to monitor the restriction through the air filter.
Thing about the size of a prescription bottle...