• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

30 mph tops

Soupermike

Steel Soldiers Supporter
What can I look at to remedy this situation? I have just finished my restoration and started driving my truck in a higher speed limit zone and all I can get up to is 30. I have a new carb, electronic ignition, new distributor cap, new spark plugs, and electronic fuel pump. Any help is appreciated.

Attachments

Floridianson

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Governor set too low? Looking good though. I wish I had a Tac hooked up as my motor seems to be screaming at 45 mph. I have pushed it farther a couple of times but now I drive at 35 / 40.

CMPPhil

What can I look at to remedy this situation? I have just finished my restoration and started driving my truck in a higher speed limit zone and all I can get up to is 30. I have a new carb, electronic ignition, new distributor cap, new spark plugs, and electronic fuel pump. Any help is appreciated.
Note trying to be funny but are you sure the transfer case is in HI range? Don't laugh laugh I've started off in my CMPs with them in low range, generally I only get to 2nd gear before it becomes evident, but have made it 4th. As to tack as an add on really helpful in get to know your truck.

The comment about govenor, being out of adjustment is a good starting point. Also check to see if the throttle plate is really opening all the way.

Keep us posted on what you find. Truck looks good.

Cheers Phil

Mullaney

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Supporting Vendor
As I was reading I had the same idea as CMPPhil .
Maybe the transfer linkage isn't quite right?

That sure is a NICE looking truck!

glcaines

Steel Soldiers Supporter
That is one nice looking M37! I agree with all of the previous posts, but I would start with checking whether the throttle is opening all the way and then re-check the timing, assuming the T-case is in high.

Soupermike

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Items checked ok:
No sticking brakes
Parking brake is off

I really didn’t see a noticeable difference in high and low gears which leads me to believe my linkage is a problem.

Didn’t get to look into the carb yet. I haven’t checked compression either.

M35A2-AZ

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Items checked ok:
No sticking brakes
Parking brake is off

I really didn’t see a noticeable difference in high and low gears which leads me to believe my linkage is a problem.

I would think if you do not see a difference in high or low, I would say it is in Low.

John Mc

Items checked ok:
No sticking brakes
Parking brake is off

When I'm in high range, I shift out of 1st gear at about 5 or 6 MPH. In Low range, thats about where I shift out of 2nd gear. (You can wind it up higher, but that's where it seems "comfortable", at least on more or less level ground

Last edited:

John Mc

If it's just a matter of needing to adjust the linkage, that is pretty simple. You can find detailed instructions in TM 9-8030, section 196 "Transfer Control Linkage Adjustment" (starts on page 304 of my copy).

You might also check to make sure the linkage rod is not mangled. (If I recall, there is supposed to be a slight bend in the rod, but it's just a few degrees.) VPM has replacements for $25.

If it's not something obvious like that, you've probably got a bit more work to do.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks