• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

302 motor conversion

roadtripper69

I have bought a ford diesel motor and tranny out of a school bus to repalce my 302 in my deuece. I was wandering what kind of tips anyone can give me when converting over to a manual transmission. I used the search option and got a few ideas just wondering if there was anything major to worry about. I will also be looking to unload my 302 motor and tranny nothing wrong just want to go diesel will be complete minus carb I would like to get 400 for both

Gunfreak25

Boy I would love to have your old powerplant for that price. Unfortunately we're a ways away! Since your using a diesel engine you have no choice but to keep the original air over hydraulic brakes, so you'll be fabricating a mount for the air compressor. The easiest way to do this is to use a tight fitting piece of thick steel tubing that slides through the large bolt on the bottom of the compressor oil pan. Then start building the engine mount for it.

Try and keep the original radiator if possible. Otherwise any old Harrison radiator out of a Chebby will work. The mounts can be made out of thin steel plate cut in little short sections and bolted to the grill assembly in the headlight socket area.

Personally I like to keep the trucks 24V using the existing 302 generator/regulator. No wiring to change! If you stick 24V sending units off a M35A2 onto the diesel engine you can also keep your stock 24V oil pressure and water temp gauges. The previous owner of my truck modified the original generator mount by keeping the "u" shape section of steel and cutting off the rest. He then welded a large flat piece of iron to the middle of it so it looks like a giant
T mount.

nattieleather

You will need to figure out how to hook up a clutch peddle. Since you got the engine and trans from the school bus is it possible to get the brake and clutch peddles and replace the old brake peddle with the ones off of the bus? I'm assuming they hang from the dash and not come up through the floor like the original.

roadtripper69

I have already figured up a way to use the bus clutch pedal going to retain stock gas pedal an brake pedal. How bout the gearing I know I will loose low range but with a 5 speed manual will I be ok on power. I am not looking to run 80 just want it to be able to pull good.

Gunfreak25

Other than the above, making the new motor mount brackets and transmission crossmember is all super easy if you know how to weld and have a little creativity in you.

Atomic

Post up some pics. I'm doing a cummins 4bt swap in mine. I'll be using a spice trans from a m35a2 and a transfer case from a WWII cckw. I have thought on a bit on the pedal issue but that's down the line. Good luck. [thumbzup]

nopics

hughscpa

Let me see what I can do on a cab and doors. I traded an early deuce to a guy a few years back and I think it is still sitting. I will pm with info if I have any luck.

hippiedude

What would you be looking to get for the motor and trany .......... I have a windshield frame (no glass) 2 doors (no glass) and tool box all for the GMC cab ...... I think I have the drivers side step too ............... Tim

Gunfreak25

If he is not interested in that toolbox Tim, I am looking to put a new one on mine. Original was beat up beyond repair. Just lemme know.....

Rockcrusher

will manual trans have an overdrive what rpm will diesel turn i ran into a problem converting from gas to diesel would pull like mad up to 48 mph an engine would hit rev limiter ended up putting a gmc brownie box behind it

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks