• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

3116 hard start in cold weather?

1 Patriot-of-many

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Wondering how long the average A3 takes to get running smoothly in sub 32 degree weather? Mine takes 30-45 seconds of cranking( i know supposed to limit cranking to 15 seconds) to get it running smoothly without ether when the temp is low.

I replaced my ether valve with a new one since it wasn't actuating, and generally I need three metered shots before it will idle smoothly First while cranking, then another while it's running and almost dying, then another to keep it running long enough to idle nice and smooth. Normal for cold weather?

supermechanic

I had two of these engines in matching gmc topkick fuel trucks.
Night and day difference between the two when you went to start them.
One of my drivers dubbed the hard-to-start one"crankinstein"
Crankinstein had to be plugged in to the block heater any time the temp. was below 40.
Sold this hard starting POS to another contractor who turned it into a water truck, he kept it inside a heated garage, so no more problems for him.
Never did spend the time to figure why one started so easy, while the other was a bear, but one of the thoughts I had was that somewhere, air was getting into the fuel system.
Not sure if the engine is set-up the same for Uncle Sam as it is for the rest of us, but you might want to check if the intake air heater works.
This is a big 'toaster element' in the air manifold, takes a lot of current, so look at the connections and wires.
Hope this has been helpful.

Hoefler

my A3 does the same thing. I have a portable propane heater with fan-was going to run it under the truck to help thaw it a bit before starting. Given I am in Minnesota, the need to do this will be often. Where do you get the replacement ether cartridges?

dittle

I've seen the reserve units sit and crank on their A3's and FMTVs like mad to get them to fire up in the cold. I would go out to my A2, hit the start and be driving all over the place after waiting for it to warm up while they were still trying to get theirs to start.

91W350

When we were recovering my A2 at Ellsworth AFB, there was a group of A3s that were headed to Colorado. It was bitter cold that morning, -6. They started 9 A3s with ether. They were pretty liberal with the spray cans. I was glad my A2 fired so easily in comparison.

sierra117

I just did not like how much I was cranking to get it started did'nt want to burn out the starter looks heavy and expensive to replace so I got a frost plug heater and it starts right up as soon as I hit the starter switch bought mine off ebay brand new for real cheap. easy install to I drained the anitfreeze removed the frost plug (located on the passenger side between the starter and the turbo) and put in the the heater in. I just reused the antifreeze that was in there looked fine just ran it through a screened funnel.

1 Patriot-of-many

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Ok thanks guys. I have a block heater, haven't installed it yet. I got a replacement ether bottle from Orielly's, take the part number with you and they can match it up, It's a different color but the exact same otherwise(right around $30 IIRC. If your ether valve doesn't work, the original company is still in business, you can contact them directly, think it was around $35 for the new valve without the special electrical connector. I cut off the wires from the old valve spliced the new one in to them and used the special connector.

autigers35a3

my 2cents. treat your fuel for the winter. Use any heat source you can to keep it warm or warm it up before starting. Go easy on the cold start switch. A Cat mechanic told me do not get it hooked on the spray. Crazy as it sounds. My granddad told me the same about tractors years ago.

maccus

Super Moderator
Super Moderator
I priced the canister from a few sources and found the CAT one was cheaper than a lot of them were. So I use the CAT one. But as was mentioned above, you can buy the canister at any good truck stop.

I use the block heaters on all my diesel trucks both civilian and military. When the temperature is below 32 degrees I plug them in. While most of the trucks will start after a little cranking etc. without using the heaters it is just easier on the internal parts of the engine to have the engine warm when trying to start.

Last edited:

Jbrowning22

My A3 starts better than any diesel I've ever seen when it's above 45f, but 35 and below it has to crank for a while. I've started it below zero with no either, it helps greatly if you give it a little gas while cranking to get it to kick. It is MUCH easier with winter diesel.

trukhead

Hmm the engine is many hunks of metal that work as a unit. It has no intellect therefore it doesn't get an addiction to ether. However how does the engine physically change with the correct use of ether? I understand too much and one can ventilate the block pronto.
I am going out to start A3 and it is 40 Far. right now. I will crank the engine about 5-10 revs and if 3116 goes, Geerreaat! but if it is going to be a stumbling misfire. I'll give it a shot on the cold start. 30-20-10 Far temps I count on using the cold start.
I thinks it is better to get the engine firing cleanly quickly rather than it stumbling and farting while it warms up.
Less harmonic oscillation of the crank when it is firing on all six, less chance of cold lock and the oil is circulating optimally.
When I use the cold start I: get the engine turning at full starter speed before the first shot, maybe add another after the first clears and the engine starts to stumble.
Am I doing it right or am I creating an ether whore?:grd:

I want a block heater, which one fits?

I use standyne lubricity formula diesel fuel additive as well.

Last edited:

dittle

trukhead, make sure you have the engine spinning before hitting the ether start. Bad things can and do happen when you apply ether before cranking. Sounds correct so far to me.