• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

32000 miles or 132,000 What should clue me in on M1009

1 Patriot-of-many

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Would be sweet to delude myself that the M1009 I bought has 32,000 miles on it as Gl listed. (don't blame them though, the odometers aren't 6 digit.)
What should I look for on these trucks to determine whether it's actually 32k or 132K? What tires were originally on an 86 M1009? Any way to trace where this vehicle was/what units ect??

1 Patriot-of-many

Steel Soldiers Supporter
No, mine has a 5 digit+10th's. Manufacture date of the vehicle 12/85

Thanks guys, at this point I'm going to presume it's 32K, the seats are in great shape, one rip on the side of the drivers seat. The pedals look pretty minty.

Warthog

Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Last edited:

patracy

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
I still don't understand why people bear so much emphasis on how many miles a MV has on it?

It's like asking a politician if they'll promise to do something. Just use the displayed mileage to keep track of your PM work and enjoy it. You'll never know what the actual mileage is of an MV in most cases.

porkysplace

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I still don't understand why people bear so much emphasis on how many miles a MV has on it?

It's like asking a politician if they'll promise to do something. Just use the displayed mileage to keep track of your PM work and enjoy it. You'll never know what the actual mileage is of an MV in most cases.
Or the thousands of hours of idling time

Evil Dr. Porkchop

Supporting Vendor
Post in the VIN info thread, I knew there was no way mine had only 7000 on it, VIN info stated it had over 90000, which means it likely had 107000.

Midnight Rider

I hate to admit it, but I agree with Patracy.

The only time I am concerned with high mileage on a vehicle is if that vehicle is not any older than 5 years from the current latest offerings of the manufacturers.

If it's as old as these MV's, then I just plan on repairs/modifications/upgrades etc...

If you are actually concerned about mileage, go buy a new car.

If you like MV's, then just find one you like and buy it.

KevinPD

Bought my 12/85 that had 67842.6 "orig" miles on an 86 "militarized" Blazer.. It is an informed choice one enters into with thier eyes open. I liked it so I bought, just like Midnight Rider says..
My dash was similar to mad scientists' with a lot of dust, so much in the passenger compartment that previous drivers scrawled "Nicks a dick" across the inside of the visors.. Where can one find that type of "real" in any other used vehicle?? I gave up caring about original miles. I'm a Tech student, I should have my ASE this Sept. after classes are done.
Already modded it too a 3 Battery set up so have 1800+ CCA's avail for cold mornins' Works fine. Getting the Starter rebuilt at a local shop(Kinne Electric) for $300+ cheaper than a new Delco, cause I broke one of bolts holding it to the block and seized off the one on the rear bracket. You just repair, maintain and keep on truckin'.. Real trucks don't need spark plugs:-D