• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

32X24 Maintance tent, tale of woes

MWMULES

Steel Soldiers Supporter
In Memorial
My 38X30 wood frame shop is in need of a demo and rebuild as a steel sheeted pole barn. So to have a place to store tools and a few MV's for the winter I went after a maintenance frame tent that was in 2 separate GL auctions weeks apart at Ft Riley. 1st auction was supposed to be 3 of the new style complete LME's (Light weight Maintenance enclosures), in crates and 3 intermediate maintenance tent frames in crates. The LME's turned out to be complete temper tents, nice new tents, but not what I wanted. Thank you Air Force supply Sgt who dummy-ed up the paper worked and stenciled the crates with the wrong NSN! The 3 frames were as advertised. Next Auction were 2 crates of frame tent ends, 7 crates of frame tent covers and 7 GP smalls. Well one crate had both ends & the correct purlins in it, second was exactly the same, no door hardware! All the crates of covers are all the vinyl intermediate covers, no end sections. I guess I will try and find something to cover the ends with as I don't want to destroy mint intermediate covers. I still have the last arch to put up but made pretty good head way today with just me and my M135 as a step ladder extension.

Attachments

MWMULES

Steel Soldiers Supporter
In Memorial
Day 2 of the Saga.... Got the rest of the frame up today and a couple of times nearly got knocked of the ladder by wind gusts. In my past life I was a Tanker and having to self recover and replace a thrown track in blowing sleet/snow with just your crew is one of the hardest things I have done... till today. The little stick figure guys the Army uses to show you how to put up a tent, just throw a rope over the frame and pull the cover over, well if your name is Mongo or Hulk it might work, but if you are gray haired 50+ not so easy. Got one up and that is it till I get a case of liquid refreshment and 3 or 4 buddies to stop by! docfarmall I got 2 jugs of Groundhogg wine buried out back, stop by and I'll dig it up.
wreckerman893 I am using 4 of the intermediate covers for the roof and I am considering several options for the ends. I like you have thought for several years about covering these frames with barn metal, but up here where I live they got these confounded building codes! If I cover with the issue vinyl it is a tent, temporary structure not a problem, if i screw metal siding on, it becomes a detached outbuilding needing drawings, site plans, foundation, footings and has to be under 900 sq ft. So, until I can get a couple of acres in another county it is a tent plus this only up till my shop gets rebuilt.
coyotegray PM sent.

Attachments

Last edited:

MWMULES

Steel Soldiers Supporter
In Memorial
Skin is all up, now just got to cobble something for the ends. I am going to try and use some temper tent floors I have extra.

Attachments

WPNS421

Hi I have just put up a 48 x 20 Maintenace tent and if you need any parts for your tent go to Mountain Gear Surplus in Asheville NC they have everything you are missing. The tent I got was a brand new vinyl style with the exception of the front panel which was used and had a big tear. I spoke to them today and they will replace the torn front, can't ask for better service. Phone number is 828 665 7731

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks