• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

32X24 Maintance tent, tale of woes

MWMULES

Steel Soldiers Supporter
In Memorial
My 38X30 wood frame shop is in need of a demo and rebuild as a steel sheeted pole barn. So to have a place to store tools and a few MV's for the winter I went after a maintenance frame tent that was in 2 separate GL auctions weeks apart at Ft Riley. 1st auction was supposed to be 3 of the new style complete LME's (Light weight Maintenance enclosures), in crates and 3 intermediate maintenance tent frames in crates. The LME's turned out to be complete temper tents, nice new tents, but not what I wanted. Thank you Air Force supply Sgt who dummy-ed up the paper worked and stenciled the crates with the wrong NSN! The 3 frames were as advertised. Next Auction were 2 crates of frame tent ends, 7 crates of frame tent covers and 7 GP smalls. Well one crate had both ends & the correct purlins in it, second was exactly the same, no door hardware! All the crates of covers are all the vinyl intermediate covers, no end sections. I guess I will try and find something to cover the ends with as I don't want to destroy mint intermediate covers. I still have the last arch to put up but made pretty good head way today with just me and my M135 as a step ladder extension.

Attachments

MWMULES

Steel Soldiers Supporter
In Memorial
Day 2 of the Saga.... Got the rest of the frame up today and a couple of times nearly got knocked of the ladder by wind gusts. In my past life I was a Tanker and having to self recover and replace a thrown track in blowing sleet/snow with just your crew is one of the hardest things I have done... till today. The little stick figure guys the Army uses to show you how to put up a tent, just throw a rope over the frame and pull the cover over, well if your name is Mongo or Hulk it might work, but if you are gray haired 50+ not so easy. Got one up and that is it till I get a case of liquid refreshment and 3 or 4 buddies to stop by! docfarmall I got 2 jugs of Groundhogg wine buried out back, stop by and I'll dig it up.
wreckerman893 I am using 4 of the intermediate covers for the roof and I am considering several options for the ends. I like you have thought for several years about covering these frames with barn metal, but up here where I live they got these confounded building codes! If I cover with the issue vinyl it is a tent, temporary structure not a problem, if i screw metal siding on, it becomes a detached outbuilding needing drawings, site plans, foundation, footings and has to be under 900 sq ft. So, until I can get a couple of acres in another county it is a tent plus this only up till my shop gets rebuilt.
coyotegray PM sent.

Attachments

Last edited:

MWMULES

Steel Soldiers Supporter
In Memorial
Skin is all up, now just got to cobble something for the ends. I am going to try and use some temper tent floors I have extra.

Attachments

WPNS421

Hi I have just put up a 48 x 20 Maintenace tent and if you need any parts for your tent go to Mountain Gear Surplus in Asheville NC they have everything you are missing. The tent I got was a brand new vinyl style with the exception of the front panel which was used and had a big tear. I spoke to them today and they will replace the torn front, can't ask for better service. Phone number is 828 665 7731