• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

33 GB 17 - 1/2 ton Military Land Rover

Jon_H

Thought it was time I added some pics up, I've spent enough time looking at everyone elses.

So, where to start?

33 GB 17 is the British military reg number of my truck. It's a right hand drive 1/2 ton Military Land Rover, aka Airportable, aka Lightweight and is 24v FFR

It was manufactured in 1974 and went into service Jan 1, 1975 with the 2bn Royal Anglian Reg't, was then transfered to 4bn Royal Green Jackets in '86, then 5bn RGJ in '95 before being finally disposed of in '97

I bought it as a non-runner in 2005 from a guy in NC, where it had been sat for 18 months. He had stripped the original paint and resprayed it bright orange, then tried using that as a selling point :cookoo:

After finally getting it running, I took on the respray. Surprisingly Krylon in a rattle can is an extremely close colour match to the British version of NATO green, and can be found at Ace or WalMart :grin:

Anyway, the important bit, the pics. The first two were take by the previous owner after he bought it (first private owner), and represents the vehicle as it was released from service.

Attachments

Jon_H

Hmmm... my recent pics appear to be too large, I'll rectify and post some more

PorscheTech911

Thats a pretty neat truck. I wonder how dis-similar it is to the American Jeep. It looks very similar and it looks like a good capable truck. I like it. [thumbzup]

Jon_H

Thats a pretty neat truck. I wonder how dis-similar it is to the American Jeep. It looks very similar and it looks like a good capable truck. I like it. [thumbzup]
Thanks.

The original "Land Rover" was developed by the Wilks brother who ran Rover cars, they had a demobbed Willys Jeep they used on their farm/estate. They liked it but thought they could make some changes and improvements to better suit an agricultural need in post war Britain.

The very first prototype was a centre steer design, on all Willys chassis and running gear.

What I have, and even the current Defender, is not too far separated from the first production Land Rovers in 1948/49

This one looks more like a Jeep than most LRs due to the bonnet design

KsM715

Cool. I learned to drive a stick in my dads Series II. Stupid me grew up to be a Jeep nut.

I was stationed at RAF Upper Heyford in the early 90's and if I had known that I could have the USAF ship back 1 vehicle I would have bought an ex-MOD Land Rover. I still look in the back of the Land Rover mags and see all the rovers for sale. (over there)

pctrans

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Neat truck. But be advised, the Krylon is great for touchup, but it WILL fade in a year. Spend "less" money, and shoot some enamel on it from Rapco or Mobile Paints. It is definitely worth the extra effort.

L1A1

Jon
Very nice Lwt you have. I have a '74 S-3 airportable myself. Have you noticed that the bulk of the landie owners on this site all seem to be light weight owners? Found that interesting...

Matt

clinto

Moderator, wonderful human being & practicing Deuc
Staff member
Administrator
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Supporting Vendor
I think John isn't around here anymore. He hasn't posted in a few years, too bad, nice light weight rescue.
I wondered where he went, he came to the rally in 2011 I think.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks