• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

35A3 Tranny fluid? 30WT ?

usmctopgun

Discussed MANY times on here, use the search. Most run wither 15w-40 or DEX 3 ATF. I like the DEX 3, and plan to stick with it.

As for brands, if you stick with the 15w-40, I like the Shell Rotella.

Last edited:

CobraCDR

SAE 15W40 (O-1236) MIL-PERF-2104

Check out the PMCS tables in the -10... as you do your checks by the numbers, it answers all sorts of questions like this.

Rustygears

As discussed in the many A3 threads on aft, use a fluid rated API-GL4 and/or Allison C-4 rated. I find that the Napa HD transmission and hydraulic oil, PN 85-405 carries the ratings for Allison and is economical at $60 for a 5Gal pail.

CobraCDR

Autigers35A3- You must not have a military background??

It stands for Operator "Preventive Maintenance Checks and Services (PMCS)" Check out Chapter two of the operators manual, it willl walk you through this stuff step by step, telling you what to check before, during and after operating the vehicle.

From TM 9-2320-386-10:

"The best way to maintain ESP vehicle components covered by this manual is to
inspect them on a regular basis so that minor faults can be discovered and corrected
before they result in serious damage, failure, or injury. This section contains systematic
instructions for inspection, adjustment, and correction of components to
avoid costly repairs or major breakdowns. This is referred to as Preventive
Maintenance Checks and Services (PMCS)."

Happy reading, hope this answers several of your questions.

mktopside

Banned
Rotella 15W -40 in the trans correct?
Thanks...
I would not.

The military put 15w-40 in these transmissions for convenience ONLY. Modern 15w-40 is much harsher additive wise than it was in 1993.

My recommendation is to run DEXIII (or equivalent), or shell out for "Transynd".

If you have no mechanical background, don't understand how an automatic transmission works, what it needs to run well, or simply just don't care..... run 15w-40.

If you think that every decision the military has ever made is fully researched and made with longevity in mind.........run 15w-40.

If you think I'm full of it, don't believe what you read on the internet, or don't understand the evolution of the "dexron" licensing standard, default to Allison's across the board and current recommendation.....run "Transynd"

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks