• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

35kw GET HDT global generator help request

RYANAAR

I Need Help Diagnosing Non-Start Issues with Powersystems International Model 2003850 35kw Generator GET HDT global John Deere 3cyl turbo diesel engine

I have been using this GET for the past five years cooling my shop with the AC unit on the trailer. I have changed the filters and oil on a regular basis and it only has 1100 hours on the unit.

Here's what happened: The generator initially started up last week but abruptly died without any load. The indicator light displayed "over speed." Now, whenever I turn the start switch to ON, the 15-amp circuit breaker immediately trips.

I've already attempted a few troubleshooting steps, but I'm unable to pinpoint the exact cause of the problem. I would greatly appreciate any insights or suggestions you can provide to help me resolve this issue. Here's what I've done so far:

1. Checked the fuel level: Ensured that the generator has an adequate supply of fuel.
  2. Verified the oil level: Ensured that the oil level is sufficient.
  3. Verified the engine turns when jumping the starter relay by hand.
  4. Pressed the reset button on the governor speed control unit.
  5. Verified the batteries : Ensured that the batteries are fully charged and properly connected.
  6. Examined the wiring: Checked for loose, damaged, or frayed wires and made sure all connections are secure.
  7. Checked all of fuses and relays
  8. Traced the issue to wire 9 from the on/start switch. With this wire removed from the switch the 15am circuit breaker won’t trip and the engine will turn over but not start
  9. The number 9 wire is attached to a wire terminal block with many other wires.
Despite these efforts, the generator still refuses to start, and the 15amp circuit breaker continues to trip. I'm unsure of what else to try at this point.

If anyone has experienced a similar issue or has any expertise with Powersystems International generators, your guidance would be immensely valuable. Please share your insights, suggestions, or troubleshooting steps that I may have missed. Your assistance will help me get my generator up and running again.

Thank you all in advance for your support and expertise.

peapvp

Steel Soldiers Supporter
  1. Traced the issue to wire 9 from the on/start switch. With this wire removed from the switch the 15am circuit breaker won’t trip and the engine will turn over but not start
  2. The number 9 wire is attached to a wire terminal block with many other wires.
See wiring diagram Page 62 of 70

Locate K18 - check if K18 has 24V on K18 TB 10 and KA18 TB 11 when moving S3 from OFF position

This contactor will trip CB9 (15 Amps DC), if it doesn't get 24V on coil, through Normally Closed Contact K18 TB 8 and K18 TB 2 through shunt SH (see wiring diagram Page 62)

Last edited:

RYANAAR

TB10 and TB11 have zero with the switch off.
When turning the switch on, voltage on TB 10 gets to 6.8v and then trips the CB9. I did not notice any voltage on TB11 either on momentary before CB9 tripped or off.

wire 403 going into the cube resister block has 24v

See wiring diagram Page 62 of 70

Locate K18 - check if K18 has 24V on K18 TB 10 and KA18 TB 11 when moving S3 from OFF position

This contactor will trip CB9 (15 Amps DC), if it doesn't get 24V on coil, through Normally Closed Contact K18 TB 8 and K18 TB 2 through shunt SH (see wiring diagram Page 62)

Attachments

peapvp

Steel Soldiers Supporter
TB10 and TB11 have zero with the switch off.
When turning the switch on, voltage on TB 10 gets to 6.8v and then trips the CB9. I did not notice any voltage on TB11 either on momentary before CB9 tripped or off.

wire 403 going into the cube resister block has 24v
What happens when you leave K18 out and go to run and start?

peapvp

Steel Soldiers Supporter
You basically got a short in your DC system. This could be any unit powered off the 24V bus
Do you have the wiring diagram on Page 62?

peapvp

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I would remove K14, which is the exciter for the Alternator with K18 in place. Then try to go to run and then start. If CB9 no longer trips, then its your Alternator, if it still trips then you need to start disconnecting the Auto Sync Module first then d try again and then Governor Controller on their +24V Supply Side which are Terminals 41, 42 and 43 in DC Wiring Diagram Page 62.
Whenever CB9 no longer trips then you have located the problem

RYANAAR

Is this the page 62 your are referencing? If so I do have it. It’s not very similar to the automotive wiring diagrams I am more familiar with. It is something to work with though and much better than nothing.
IMG_1598.jpeg
You basically got a short in your DC system. This could be any unit powered off the 24V bus
Do you have the wiring diagram on Page 62?

RYANAAR

Thank you. Poccur was awesome and answered in no time flat. For anyone following or having a similar issue here is what he told me and fixed my issue.

The engines had an emissions solenoid which basically acted as a cold start advance, it kept the emissions low on cold starts. If they fail, they fail dead short and trip that breaker.

Disconnecting one wire from the emissions solenoid fixed the issueIMG_1630.jpeg. You do not need solenoid for normal engine running..

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks