• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

365/80 R20 MTP Conti's on Aluminum MRAP Rims

Joaquin Suave

Steel Soldiers Supporter
365/80 R20 MPT Conti's on Aluminum MRAP Rims

Has anyone tried this??? I have done countless searches, talked to "experts" and have only come up with ... Maybe.

Last edited:

Castle Bravo

Hundredaire Socialite
Steel Soldiers Supporter
As far as I know, 98G is correct. I think the proper term is "MPT," not "MTP." A 365/80R20 is supposed to be equivalent to a 14.5R20 in size and is, as such, a MPT bead tire, made for a MPT wheel. I think nearly all of the MRAP wheels are NPT bead wheels, made for NPT bead tires.

Here is how I understand it - An NPT or MPT tire can go on an MPT wheel, but only an NPT tire can go on NPT wheel. Any ".5" tire is a MPT tire. I think this is correct, anyhow.

gimpyrobb

dumpsterlandingfromorbit!
5here is diagrams as to why it doesn't work in the 395,15.5, 1400 thread. I can't post a link right now as im on my phone.

Joaquin Suave

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Thank you all for your input!

The attached image is a comparison of the reverse engineering I did on the MRAP & A3 rims. My first thought was the would be no way the Conti 365/80 R20 would loose a bead in the taller MRAP rims & I could make sealing rings that could fill the gap made by the MPT tire profile (using some high quality hydraulic hose).
Then after further studying the offset difference that the MRAP/ Adapter rim would give me... I've opted to stick with the A3 rims! So now my issue is the offset created by the A3 rims on my commercial Rockwell axles.
Thus I am starting another thread to address that issue:

Again, I want to thank all of your SO MUCH for your input!

mpt_npt compair.jpg

Strouty

Looking at the info here and in the other thread, I see why it is said that you can't use MPT style tires on non MPT rims. My question is risk and longevity of an MPT tire on MRAP rims. Is it more about speed of the tire or weight, or something else? I am looking to install 12.50 R 20 tires on an older forklift with the 6 lug pattern. I did not understand or know there was even a difference when I started buying my tires and parts, now I do and I am in deep $$$. It looks like my only option is to buy overpriced A3 wheels, but I am still curious what the detrimental effects of running an MPT tire on an MRAP rim are? To me it looks like it would wear the sidewall funny or try and break it down, just not sure if this would really be an issue at low speeds. I may end up scrapping the entire idea and going to a 19.5 tire and rim, I just liked the mud tread and the fact that I could fairly easily mount and dismount the tries and rims myself.

Strouty

The cheapest I can find is $250 each wheel, the MRAP ones are aluminum and sell fro $150 or less, so I guess I call $250 overpriced?

peashooter

There is a 20x11 Hutchinson 22 bolt aluminum MRAP rim out there that will fit with an adapter. They were coming out of GL for a while with the 366/80r-20 tires. I think the rims had 22 outer bolts with plastic caps on them. Im sure i have more info somewhere but am on my phone so its hard enough just typing this!

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks