• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

395/85/20 Tires installed

mikeroot2

Just installed my new 46" tires this morning. WOW what a difference. Totally different truck! Looks a lot meaner, rides better, way lower rpm. Can actually cruise at 55-60MPH without redlining the engine.

I bought CCEquipment's(clintdigger97) custom rims and tires off eBay. He is awesome to deal with and makes high quality stuff. Anyone who was worried about doing this upgrade because of the problems with some of the "adapters" out there doesn't need to worry about that with his set up.He makes complete custom made two part rims for the deuce, VERY high quality. You can opt to get different offsets front to back to make your front/rear axels track the same without flipping your hubs. I got the different offsets and it was easy.

My only question(while I have your attention) is what do you have to do to correct the speedo?

Now I just need my cargo cover and a paint job.

Attachments

mikeroot2

How much "articulation" can you still get without rubbing the bed etc?
I have yet to check that out, but I will. It will primarily be run on the road though and used to pickup/deliver pumps for my business, so that wasn't a concern. The biggest reason I did it was to be able to run at 60mph on the highway at a comfortable rpm. Maybe someone else can chime in with pics of a deuce with these tires on the articulation ramps. I'd like to test it on my neighbors car!

JOAT 0311

Has anyone had a problem with the 395's on the highway? By this I am referring to the lower speed rating 50-55mph off the top of my head. I am thinking about using some Goodyear G177s(12" wide about 43" tall spd rated for 68 Mph) or the 395's. I will be driving 70% highway and 30% off road. I guess I am concerned about premature wear and excessive bounce/wander at highway speeds. If someone could comment on typical lifespan of the 395's that would be helpful. Does anyone know of a good place to get some aluminum rims for a deuce. It can't hurt to reduce some weight at the wheels. Thanks

JOAT 0311

Hey Mikeroot2, great looking truck. By the way it's official, I will be picking up another deuce shortly. It won't be long before the OD Green affliction takes over!!!! Luckily, I have friends with many acres to fill, the wife will never discover my evil plan. Heh, Heh, Heh

mikew

Has anyone had a problem with the 395's on the highway? By this I am referring to the lower speed rating 50-55mph off the top of my head. I am thinking about using some Goodyear G177s(12" wide about 43" tall spd rated for 68 Mph) or the 395's.

I was concerned about the 395's speed rating too.

Because of that, I put G177's on the last bobbed deuce I built.

But then someone posted a copy of Michelin's "Special Application Approval" document. This document states that the 395's are acceptable to use up to 70mph when inflated to a lower pressure. This also lowers the maximum payload capacity, but it's still 9370 lbs per tire.

I was very happy with the G177's ride and speed, but I have to admit I like the look of the 395's better so the new bobbed deuce will sport 395's on HEMTT wheels!

Attached is a copy of the Michelin "SAA" and a picture of the bobbed deuce with G177's.

Attachments

JOAT 0311

Mikew, thanks for the info. I do prefer the 395's too. The picture was a nice touch! How were your MPG's w/ the G177s any significant impact on rpm at top speed?

DUECE-COUPE

the 395 85 r20 are almost the same diameter as the 11.00x20 tires on a 5 ton, so if you use the speedo adapter from a 5 ton you should be close if not right on the money.

mikew

I built the bobbed truck with the G177 tires to sell, so I never checked the fuel mileage.

Stock 9.00x20's are about 517 revs per mile, so 56 mph at 2600 RPM.

G177's are 478 revs per mile, so 61 mph at 2600.

395's are 448 revs per mile, so 66 mph at 2600.

JOAT 0311

Mikew, thank you for the numbers! I am going to use G177s to single my truck. They are better in the rain and perform well off road. I can always get a set of 395's and rims as a spare set when I run across the right deal.

ALFA2

Bigtoyman is correct, the adapter pictured in his post is from Boyce, ( Call them to ask about it), and is easy to put in, and will solve your speedometer inaccuracy, you can feel free to check it for your piece of mind, after installation with a GPS speed, while driving... Also make sure that you speedo cable is not binding, kinked, or pinched somewhere, while you lubricate the adapter and cable during the installation. The speedometer will work better, and be more quieter, when properly greased.

Hope it helps.

ALFA2

Preacherboy

Mike, was that you driving through Fenton on Owen road, Monday the 19th? Your truck definately looks tough, first thing I noticed was the nice big tires! I'm still waiting on my EUC to get my truck, I already have the wheels and adapter plates (thanks 13mike!) and I am just collecting tires as I can locate them...so soon there will be 2 trucks in the area and you won't get all the attention anymore!

mikeroot2

Preacherboy. That was me. My shop is in Holly and I live in Argentine. Drive it back and forth to work a lot. It would be sweet to see 2 deuces in the area. PM me when you get it and maybe we can get together. I have a shop with overhead cranes, welders, sand blaster, lathe, bridgeport etc. and a service truck loaded with tools and a crane, if you don't have a place to work on it.

Bacon4x

Im buying a set of 395's soon and would definatly be interesting in how well you can articulate before rubbing the bed since I plan on some off roading. Some one please jump in with some articulation pics.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks