• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

395/85/20 Tires installed

Preacherboy

Mike, sounds great...thanks for the offer! I just picked up 2 brand new 395's today, 1 Goodyear 15.5 and 1 Michelin 15.5. I now have 7 46" tires, but 3 different treads!

I will definately let you know when I get the truck. I have met a few other guys with trucks in the area too, been to a junkyard with digitaldust and bought my wheels from 13mike. Lots of good MV collectors area here.

mikeroot2

Tuff-Truck-Guy, Nothing significant no. It accels off the line a little slower. But it still moves good for a 13000lb truck. It is definetly worth anything I MIGHT have lost in acceleration for what was gained in cruising speed and lower rpms.

mikeroot2

Preacherboy, sounds like some good hunting. I didn't have the patiences to search. The offer on the shop is open to anyone in the area. Always willing to help a fellow MVer out. I could even bring the service truck to your place or whatever, it has cutting torches, welder, impact, hand tools, chop saw, a 5000lb crane, etc. Weekends are probably best, but if you're ever in a bind just call. Mike

fletcher

do u guys know if u can run the 395's on the rear as duels? i have the tires on my truck and i seem to get some wheel hop when off road. (didnt do it with the 9.00's) and they do hit the bed and front fenders when it tweaks. any ideas on how to lift the truck up a little? and another problem is i have broken 2 axle shafts. (which is how i got stuck in my pic)

wehring

axle hop

I recently experienced the axle hop you are talking about. I took a 5 ton to the beach and the rear tandems hopped terribly when I accelerated in the soft stuff.

You need to mount 4 shocks on the rear (1 @ ea tire) so the tandems can not rotate freely about the pivot point.... or you can just bob it. :eek:)

Justin Wehring
979 997 3112

Bob H

Steel Soldiers Supporter
just a note to clarify some mis information posted above.

395's & 15.50 R20's are 46" diameter
1100/20's, 14.50 R20's are 43.5" diameter
900/20's are about 40.5" diameter

There are two speedo gears for the Deuce, one for the 900/20's & one for singled 1100/20's.

Will a speedo gear from a 5ton fit on a deuce? The axle ratio's for the 5ton are not 6.72 like the deuce, Interesting if that'll work out accurate for a Deuce with 46" tires. What is the 5ton axle ratio anyway?

mudguppy

shocks will not cure wheel-hop. a majority of wheel hop can be attributed to the amount of slop between two double-reduction axles.

wheel hop will lead to broken axle shafts.

jesusgatos

Haven't tried it on a deuce yet, but shocks certainly can reduce wheel-hop. Axle-wrap is something different (should only be a problem with bobbed deuces). I'm planning on installing 6 2.5" diameter desert racing-type remote reservoir shocks on Mah Deuce, and would be willing to bet that it reduces wheel-hop by a measurable amount.

hasteranger

There was a military fair type thing on the national lawn in DC on Sunday and I had the chance to check out a wide variety of equipment up close and personal. Once thing I did notice is that a lot of the newer vehicles have exactly what you are proposing- the same setup as the dual rear axles on the duece and a half, but with shocks on each end. They only had one 6x6 truck there and it was a 5 ton flatbed with IRS on all 6 wheels (and friggin amazing, sitting on 52's), but they had lots of other equipment like the 8x8's and other stuff and they all had shocks on either end of the dual axle setup.

GPappy

Mike,

I looked at Clintdigger97's auctions and was wondering about the quality of the tires he sells. Says they have weather checking and I think 60% tread left but had no idea how bad they were. Did you have them shipped or did you go get them? I was thinking that it might be better to drive down and try to select the ones I wanted but didn't know if he would do that or not.

Anyone know a good place to get front springs and mounts around here?

Greg

mikeroot2

Greg,
I had them shipped. It was cheaper than I could have driven down and picked them up for, but I didn't get to pick them out either. Shipping for me was $300 (shop with forklift) or a 4 hour drive one way with diesel over $3 a gallon. All my tires have AT LEAST 90% tread. My front two were 100% and 3 of my rear 4 had the nubs on the tread still. Clinton is a great guy to deal with. Call and talk to him. He will do right by you. I'm sure he wouldn't have a problem with you picking them out, but I don't want to speak for him. This is by far the best thing I've done to my truck so far.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks