• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

395/85r20 XZLs on A3 Rims not holding air!!!

JimmyThompson

I've had them mounted and they simply won't hold air. I've taken the truck to another tire shop as the original diesel repair shop had serious issues but the tires still leak! I have replaced the O-rings and had them Teflon all the fittings. Any ideas???

patracy

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
Did you use the right oring? Did you clean all the surfaces? Was there any rust in them? Have you soaked them with soapy water to find the leak? Did you use any lube on the rings?

JimmyThompson

I got the A3 O-rings from CSM Army Tires. They look like large round (cross section) O-rings. There isn't any rust on the rims, the guy said there was some "packing grease" but he removed it. The tire shop stated they soaked the tires and fittings but couldn't find a leak. I am not sure of any lube used on the O-rings.

MtnSnow

Are the wheels connected to CTIS? If so have you disconnected the CTIS to make sure it's the wheels that are leaking and not something within the CTIS? Sometimes the easiest thing to do is place the wheel/tire into a "kiddie pool" to find a leak from a wheel/tire

JimmyThompson

Yes. But apparently they are MRAP bead locks, run-flats actually, not A3. I later learned they are 1" too narrow for the rim. I can't imagine how that would affect the tire pressure with the truck sitting for a week.

Vintage iron

There is your problem. You need the bead locks to hold the heavy beads against the rims. Having the runflats in there isn't helping either. Get the right bead locks and do the work yourself. Tire shop charge you big bucks and don't care about how anything goes together .

Vintage iron

Having that heavy runflats wobbling around in there isn't helping and I guarantee the tire shop is missing something. I mount these tires all the time and never had a leak. I hope you didn't get those wrong sized o-rings that were going around. They were 3/16 instead of 1/4 inch. One of my Customers had that problem.

Vintage iron

I bought a bunch of the O rings in the brown bags. They were all marked the same, some were the right size (1/4) some were the wrong size (3/16). I caught it and ordered new ones.

gringeltaube

Staff Member
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Yet others have ran these tires on A3 rims without the bead locks... How does that work?
Works fine for me...!
I guarantee the tire shop is missing something....
Agree with that. Even a small, slow leak can be detected by using detergent solution and a brush or sponge to create foam and covering all suspicious areas.
It just takes a lot of patience sometimes. Also, manipulating these heavyweights isn't something for everyone to enjoy...

G.

JimmyThompson

Further thinking... I've used the green tire slime before on my ATV and lawn mower wheels. Would it be foolish to put a quart into each tire and drive it around for a while? Wouldn't that find it's way into the leak?!!?

welldigger

Did you replace the valve stem grommets?!!! If they are the original a3 valve stems then the rubber grommet under it is very prone to age cracking and leaking.

While the run flats are definitely not the correct ones I don't see that being the problem. You DO NOT need bead locks or run flats for these tires to hold air. My truck hasn't lost 3 pounds of air in a year on any given tire. I'm running 395s on A3 wheels with no beadlocks or run flats.

As suggested earlier, spray EVERYTHING with soapy water. Should help you determine where the leak is.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks