• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

395/85r20

kawhill

Greetings, I might be able to get a deal on some 395/85R20 tires for my m35a3c.
I have kind of a hybrid right now as the front tires are 395/85R20, but the rears
are 14.5/R20. Would I have enough clearance to mount the larger 395/85R20
on both rear axles and could I mount the 395/85R20's on the standard rim?
Thanks for any help. Regards.

Kawhill

gimpyrobb

dumpsterlandingfromorbit!
Greetings, I might be able to get a deal on some 395/85R20 tires for my m35a3c.
I have kind of a hybrid right now as the front tires are 395/85R20, but the rears
are 14.5/R20. Would I have enough clearance to mount the larger 395/85R20
on both rear axles and could I mount the 395/85R20's on the standard rim?
Thanks for any help. Regards.

Kawhill

Yes and yes.

wreckerman893

Possum Connoisseur
Should mount and fit on M35A3 rims OK
Just because you can do something doesn't mean you should.......the tire will be very difficult to mount and dismount....it will also bow out in the middle and give you a very narrow footprint at speed.

Wider rims without the ring would be better.

RAYZER

395-20's will rub the inner front fenders With stock deuce rims, you can replace the stop bolts with longer ones to adjust it out and eliminate rubbing, but that reduces the turning radius.

jaymcb

yeah, the oak tree beside my driveway got a 'kiss' from my deuce bumper becuase of it's tight turning radius.....but I didn't see any evidence of tires rubbing on my a3. Losing air, yes, leaking oil yes, but not rubbing...:)

I just had my A3 blow the crapola out of the middle tire (front-rear) on the passenger side. There was no sign of dry rot or anything wrong with the tire, and the only thing I could conclude was the CTIS sensor in the tire had a problem, as it did have some oil in it when I pulled it off to put on the spare, and I think it overinflated the tire. I don't know how this would be possible with one of these michelins able to hold 80 PSI, but that is the best theory I could come up with. I'm wondering about putting a set of 15.5s on it, and also wondering if anyone else has had this problem or heard of it.
I've gone ahead and pulled the CTIS off each of the wheels and capped all the wheel studs where the air goes through - seems like a real bad idea to add so many parts to a military vehicle just to be able to adjust tire pressure on the go.

ODdave

Just because you can do something doesn't mean you should.......the tire will be very difficult to mount and dismount....it will also bow out in the middle and give you a very narrow footprint at speed.

um..... how much wider do you want? I would think the stock 10-11in is plenty

av8or

Steel Soldiers Supporter

I'm not sure i understand the M35A3 rim is 11" wide and ring ? they work on my bobber & look good. When mounting it helps to put tube inside & blow up oversize & set out in sun to warm for a while then remove the tube before you start the process of mounting to make it seat when airing up.

Josh

The a3 rim is wide enough to work, and you can mount the tires on it. They use a different style of bead tho, and alot of tire places I've talked to don't recommend using mixed types of beads.

gimpyrobb

dumpsterlandingfromorbit!
The a3 rim is wide enough to work, and you can mount the tires on it. They use a different style of bead tho, and alot of tire places I've talked to don't recommend using mixed types of beads.
Its been said that a "regular" tire on an MPT rim will work, but an MPT tire on a regular rim will dammage the bead.