• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

395 mounting issues... help

deucedeuce

ok i dropped my truck off this morning to get my 395s mounted on my stock rims. when i got there they said they would do it but after a minute of talking the tire man said i need tubes before they can mount them, i told him ive seen the stock tubes used multiple time and to just use those, he declined and told me it would be a complete waste of money and time because they would blow before i leave the parking lot. i asked if he had tube and the answer was no, he told me i need 16 or 16.50 tubes and i thought that was kind of big but i persisted to ask to use the stock tubes and the answer was still no. at this point i was mad because i was sitting in 20 degree wheather at 7 in the morning and pleaded to just try because one way or another im going to get them mounted by tomorrow afternoon even if it comes down to me trying myself and potentially hurting myself. so he said try to find some tubes and he will help me out. what tubes do i actually need? and will 9.00 tubes work if i do it myself? btw sorry about the length i just needed to ventaua

Marlboro

Many Many threads on this.... I believe you can NOT use the 9.00 tubes. The 11.00 or 14.00 tubes are accecptable. Good luck and don't get hurt!!

deucedeuce

ok the tire place called and told me they tried to mount one and they couldnt get the ring back on because the tire width and that the tires are going to rub each other in the back and that the there going to rub in the front. that has to be bs so i guess im gonna try to tackle them myselves(i know the dangers, there will be a tire cage to mount them in) please let me know any and all techniques/tricks/secrets used to mount these big suckers because i am fixing to have a really long night:doh: and also whats the best way to compress the tire to snap the ring on?

KsM715

Are you running duals in the back with your 395's? (edit: after re-reading your post Im guessing you meant the tires would rub from one axle to the other) I hope thats what you meant.

eldgenb

the tires will not rub in the rear, they will rub on the front steering shaft on the drivers side under full turn but not too bad. I have to use my knuckleboom to compress the tire to get the rings back on, I could not figure any other way to do it by myself. 11.00 r 20 tubes will be fine. If you somehow by chance get the rings on after the sidewall is compressed make sure you air up the tires with the ring facing the ground and run some chain through the wheel and around the tire several times to catch the ring if necessary. Make sure you have an air chuck that will hold itself on the valve stem and keep clear till the tire seats. Be very careful and good luck.

eldgenb

This will not end well....
says the guy who has probably never done one. It is perfectly fine and safe once the tire is seated. The hardest part of the whole thing is to get the sidewall compressed enough to get the ring back on. I had to use the outrigger on one side and the boom on the other to compress the tire. Once that was done I had to start the ring, stand on the ring to keep it from coming out and walk around it with a sledge to get the ring installed all the way around. Once you do the first one the rest are easy. Also you will have to put something under the wheel you are working with to keep the wheel off the ground or it will never work.

baxter

As stated above make sure to set the wheel up un something to allow the tire to be free from the ground (I used a 5 gal. bucket) then I set the ring on and stomped on it and used a tire hammer to make sure it was seated then ran some chains through it and got away from it and aired them up no big deal. Just be safe and enjoy the new tires. I used 11x20 tubes and are working fine.

Vaughn

mikey

says the guy who has probably never done one. It is perfectly fine and safe once the tire is seated. The hardest part of the whole thing is to get the sidewall compressed enough to get the ring back on. I had to use the outrigger on one side and the boom on the other to compress the tire. Once that was done I had to start the ring, stand on the ring to keep it from coming out and walk around it with a sledge to get the ring installed all the way around. Once you do the first one the rest are easy. Also you will have to put something under the wheel you are working with to keep the wheel off the ground or it will never work.
you are correct, i have not done this before, nor would I try this myself... i know i am an inexperienced noob... but despite that, i knew a deuce with stock rims and 395's needed tubes... and i knew the stock tubes would not work... OP did not.. according to OP, he also argued with a professional to try to get him to do something even this noob knew would not work...

did OP flip his hubs? probably not... could that be the rubbing in the rear the professional is referring to?

I have read first hand on this site from two posters who know someone who died working on these rims... not a job for a noob IMHO... i understand that for most members, these rims are a cake walk and that we all have to learn somewhere, none of us are born with deuce knowledge... eldgenb, your experience and advice is impressive and its clear you can tackle this job without assistance... i just hope OP gets a hand from someone with similar experience and doesn't go at this alone and get hurt, or worse...

jdknech

oh and 1 other thing.. if you can have a shop break down your 9.00x20's for you, it will be much easier for you, after it took me 30min to brake down my first one, i took the rest to a shop, and for $10 a tire, the did it for me :grd:

treeguy

395's on stock rims? I thought they weren't wide enough, too much sidewall belly, and create a wrong bead seat due to the bulge angle, making the ring a potential fail point?
395's fit a stock height deuce right? (with only the minor steering arm rub)

Cleptomaniac

I have had my 395s on stock rims for 2+months now and am running the 9.00 tubes!! The tire shop here put them on/in for me and they work great. The tubes are not cheap!! I say just inspect them and if good go for it!! Also had a flat on the front at 50 mph (curb won) :p The 395s are fine till u slow down.

eldgenb

well i dont have a knuckle boom readily available lol, what else is there?
well the pic of the high lift jacks work, place the tire under your front bumper and place the foot of the jack on opposite sides of the tire, with another wheel under the tire and wheel you are working on evenly jack them up untill they have pushed the sides of the tire as far down on the rim as they will go, then carefully put the lock ring on and with a combination of pry bars or tire spoons and a small sledge work the ring around until it is completely seated. Take the pressure off the jacks, chain the tire, flip the tire ring down and inflate from a distance. When I am done and the tire is full I like to bang on the ring to ensure that it is fully seated (ring facing away from you) and only then do I mount them.

I was not trying to be a douche in my prior post but you would not believe the negative feedback I got on "too dangerous" "it can't be done" and if I listened to everyone who had nothing good to say about it than I never would have done it or acquired the knowledge and experience that I do have. So here's a :beer: and lets all get along.:)

Oh and one last thing, the proper way to break the bead to get them off is to run them the F*ck over with the deuce!! You will not hurt them and you will thank yourself in the end vs throwing a sledge. Or...take them to a tire store.

Last edited:
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks