• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

395/super single guys: where to mount full size spare?

sp00n

I have a 395 spare for my truck that is 10 kinds of in the way in my garage, and isn't doing me any good should I get a flat out on the road if it isn't on the truck. I'd like to mount it somewhere on the truck and I'm looking for ideas. Its way to big to go in the factory spare location and I don't want it to block my rear window. I like my functioning troop seats so thats out, laying flat in the bed is a no-go as I haul stuff frequently and the tire is way to heavy to load and unload every time I need bed space.

What creative spot have you stashed your 7th (or 5th) wheel?

Bighurt

Well you sorta eliminated all the good spots.

What about centered against the cab with a crane mod on a back corner. You'd have to fab a mount but it would fit between the deployed troop seats if it was centered.

sp00n

Well you sorta eliminated all the good spots.

What about centered against the cab with a crane mod on a back corner. You'd have to fab a mount but it would fit between the deployed troop seats if it was centered.

Blocks my view out of the rear window. I've ruled the obvious spots out. I'm seeing if anyone got really creative with a swing out Jeep/Bronco style tailgate swing arm or something.

Bighurt

Blocks my view out of the rear window. I've ruled the obvious spots out. I'm seeing if anyone got really creative with a swing out Jeep/Bronco style tailgate swing arm or something.
Well I thought about the tailgate but the weight with tire and swinging, etc. Was more than I was capable of describing. Plus it would block your view out the back unless you mounted it super low, which would block the pintle hook.

Honestly I've never looked out my back window... so I just assumed others didn't either. I can't look out the back window when I back my F350 and I won't be able to do it with the M915 either. Unless bobbed of course...

dobyg75

I would have tried to mount it on the roof of a hard top cause if you got it in the bed you could probably get it on the roof and then coming down is the easy part those tires are a little too close for me not that im worried about rubbing its the stuff on the trail if something hits the spare you loose that and the drive tire and your all done

tm america

I would have tried to mount it on the roof of a hard top cause if you got it in the bed you could probably get it on the roof and then coming down is the easy part those tires are a little too close for me not that im worried about rubbing its the stuff on the trail if something hits the spare you loose that and the drive tire and your all done
I've had it on the worst trails haspin has to offer and never ripped it off or bent anything.it clears everything even at full flex and it doesn't stick out past the side of the truck and is fairly protected. .if you can get it on the roof by youself. You could probably just put it in your pocket?

usmc320

It looks like from the pictures that articulation wouldn't cause a problem. The comment about putting it on the roof made me laugh. Good luck with that He-Man.

tm america

If you didn't flip the hubs and just ran the rear tires as if you were just using the outers you would have more clearence between the spare and front tire than you would have between the tandums....Ive had my spare mounted like this for over a year and no ill effects.. it has saved my butt several times ..