• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

3D Printed CTIS and Axle Seal Drivers

Rbernard1984

About to change the CTIS seals on my truck (if it ever stops snowing in Texas) and could not find the two tools called out in the TM. Well, I found the CTIS tool but the price was crazy. So I went ahead and put the specs into CAD and PETG printed them out. Not sure if anyone else has gone this route but ended up being pretty cost effective and they turned out great! Should be plenty strong to press the seals.

Attachments

Mullaney

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Supporting Vendor
About to change the CTIS seals on my truck (if it ever stops snowing in Texas) and could not find the two tools called out in the TM. Well, I found the CTIS tool but the price was crazy. So I went ahead and put the specs into CAD and PETG printed them out. Not sure if anyone else has gone this route but ended up being pretty cost effective and they turned out great! Should be plenty strong to press the seals.
Don't know if you can advertise here or not. If not, please PM me a message to price me a set of seal drivers and shipping to Charlotte, NC 28206 please?

I have been looking for a reason - something useful that I could do with a 3D printer. This is the first thing I have found so far. Lots of cool things they can do but this is a "first" for me... Please and Thank You!

Tim

Rbernard1984

Don't know if you can advertise here or not. If not, please PM me a message to price me a set of seal drivers and shipping to Charlotte, NC 28206 please?

I have been looking for a reason - something useful that I could do with a 3D printer. This is the first thing I have found so far. Lots of cool things they can do but this is a "first" for me... Please and Thank You!

Tim
Honestly had not thought about selling these, give me a week or two to test them. I plan to do my seals in the next week or so and will make sure they function as intended. I did a 40% fill on these, but can go with a higher fill or even solid if I feel like they aren’t holding up as planned. I’ll update once I use them, but happy to help another member!

Mullaney

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Supporting Vendor
Honestly had not thought about selling these, give me a week or two to test them. I plan to do my seals in the next week or so and will make sure they function as intended. I did a 40% fill on these, but can go with a higher fill or even solid if I feel like they aren’t holding up as planned. I’ll update once I use them, but happy to help another member!
Neat! I don't have a burning need to fix mine at the moment, but when it happens - the right tool for the job would sure be nice. THANKS and when you get it tested I would be happy to have a set in the toolbox.

Awesomeness

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I've made most/all of them, and even sold some. However, I've had to go through several iterations of revisions from the metal design dimensions in order to get them to fit, survive use and print well. They take a long time (20-40h/ea), and a lot of filament, to print. I print them (90%) solid now, because when used on stubborn seals they were really taking a beating.

If you search for posts that include "3D printed", you'll see I have all kinds of stuff designed up... hub shim setup tools, seal drivers, door handles, tachometer gauge pods, inclinometer mounts, instrument sun shades, etc.

20200812_203917.jpg
20200812_203852.jpg
20200812_203809.jpg

Last edited:

Rbernard1984

I've made most/all of them, and even sold some. However, I've had to go through several iterations of revisions from the metal design dimensions in order to get them to fit, survive use and print well. They take a long time (20-40h/ea), and a lot of filament, to print. I print them (90%) solid now, because when used on stubborn seals they were really taking a beating.

If you search for posts that include "3D printed", you'll see I have all kinds of stuff designed up... hub shim setup tools, seal drivers, door handles, tachometer gauge pods, inclinometer mounts, instrument sun shades, etc.
[/QUOTE]
That’s awesome, glad to see someone else thought the same would be possible. Not sure why it didn’t show up in search?

How have the tools been holding up? The printer I used isn’t mine but a local shop, they recommended the PETG, but it’s a commercial unit that can also print solid carbon which they said would be stronger then then a machined part in aluminum if I really had strength concerns. Also increases the cost though.

Rbernard1984

I just turn the large socket over and tap them in. Works fine.
A friend that used to work on these overseas said they never had the tools, they used the socket, cans, or anything else that was roughly the same size and flat. So def not needed, just hoping it makes my life a little easier since I’m doing the whole truck.

patracy

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator

View attachment 826059
View attachment 826060
View attachment 826061
What machine are you using? Have you gone to a larger nozzle? I'm running a .8 nozzle for the large prints I'm doing these days. Cuts the time in half. Given the design, I don't see much fine detail outside the "engraved" text.

Reworked LMTV

good point...... might be good for those of us who have the proper big arse socket..... to have a printed up cap that fits the socket on the opposite end. one with a centered tap spot to squarely drive the seals in?
You might be able to make something out of PVC plumbing.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks