• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

4.10 gears and 38" tires

EF-5

I want to ask this and see what kind of responses I get. A little bit of this has been discussed around the site, but I'm looking for some direct answers to these questions :mrgreen:. A lot of people on here think I'm crazy for trying to chase storms in a military vehicle, but I want to say that I have purchased an M1008, and converted it to 12V already; along with some other MODS.

Now I have been playing my options on gaining speed, and obviously bigger tires are the easiest solution, but I want to play around with some ideas that enhance the use of bigger tires. How hard would it be to change the gear ratio in the front and rear axle of the M1008 to 4.10. I understand the carrier doesn't have to be changed for this ratio? How hard would this be to do by myself, with some available resources??

I've read the 4.10 gears should bless me with 10 more mph, and the 38's should do about the same. All in all can I expect a solid 20mph gain in cruising speed??

I plan to do a small lift just to upgrade the suspension, and trim the fenders to fit the tires I want.

Thanks guys!

ODdave

Carriers MUST be changed to do this

Better do something to get more power out of the 6.2 as well.

Personaly i would want a truck with a ton of power for fast maneuvers.

Last edited:

EF-5

Dang. See this is why I ask you guys though. Good straight answers! Gear vendors sound good, but pricey. 700r4 sounds good, but a good bit of parts hunting, and it's a pretty penny to get someone to do it for you.

kapnklug

1. You would have to change the carriers, and setting up a new carrier, ring and pinion is a pretty sophisticated (=expensive) job
2. You could swap in a set of civillian 3/4 ton axles, which came with 4.10 gears, but you'd have to relocate the rear spring perches on the rear axle
3. Do you really want to go 80mph in such a poor handling, top-heavy vehicle into a tornado? I've got 4.10s and 35" tires and the wind blows me around like a sailboat

EF-5

65-70mph cruising would be fine. And yes i do actually lol. It's a lot better than what i have to chase in now (Ford 500) :beer:

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks