• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

4.4 miles per gallon? Is that right???

cranetruck

Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
The military doesn't like surprises, so the spec you see will be worst case or average at best. Compare 20K winch at 9,500 lb, which would be as used most of the time with most layers of cable on the drum, not bare drum...

steelsoldiers

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
I got around 6-7 MPG on my 400 mile round trip to Aberdeen in my M923A2 running 60 MPH with around 1000 lbs in the back.

m.walker

50+ year old gasser with 11x20's 5-5.5 mpg's , with 16x20's 6-7 mpg , pulling my shopvan trailer 3.5 mpg . Not good I know but a 50+ year old truck not bad . My trucks at work ( kenworth , freightliner , peterbilt ) 6-7 mpg ! Not very much improvement in 50 years .

Westech

CPL
In my 813A1 I am getting in the 10-12 range. IT has the 11:00 tires but the engine is almost brand new (only 3k miles) I would think its going to go up when I put the 14:00 tires on.

timntrucks

Steel Soldiers Supporter
a 818 can get up to 8 mpg at 45 mph as told by armymanplus30 but at speed empty it only gets 6 .. my 816 gets 4.5

M813rc

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Like Chris' experience, mine averages around 7mpg. That is with the cargo cover and 14.00s. Towing the M105 I don't see any difference in mileage, the truck pretty much ignores it being there.
Since mine is a toy, the only real load I have carried is five pallets of water, no change in mileage. Rode really nice though!

Cheers

zout

Running both M109A3's back from Memphis averaged out nearly 12 mpg each. They had not weight nor were we towing. That was a 330 mile trip one way. We did do some 6 wheeling when we got to my place down the power lines and across Yellow River.

91W350

Seeing the bobbed 5 tons on this site has me wanting to build one. I want to drop the rear tandem and shorten a Deuce bed. I was hoping for a little closet to 10 mpg. Maybe without the tandem and pulling 53" singles I will be able to do it. I have about resigned myself to just taking a big gulp and paying the price at the pump. Thanks again for all the great replies.

steelsoldiers

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
JWaller... since you have a Deuce and a 818, are the cabs about the same size inside? Thanks.. Glen
It is dimensionally the same cab. I believe the dash configuration is the only difference. The cabs didn't get larger until the 939-series came along.

jwaller

JWaller... since you have a Deuce and a 818, are the cabs about the same size inside? Thanks.. Glen
yup, just as chris said, they are the same. dash is different and steering wheel is different(smaller). makes it(5T) seem a little larger.

my 5T has the fuel turned up so others may get slightly better economy.

Lifer

In Memorial
In Memorial
4.4 mpg sounds reasonable to me if you're hauling heavy loads through combat-damaged terrain in low range. Running empty on a smooth highway is a different story.

CGarbee

I always use 5mpg when figuring fuel stops in both my XM813 and my M817... Seems about right for both although I admit to not having run the exact numbers recently. I rarely go down the road empty (unless it is the return trip to the quarry...).

I always got right around 10mpg in the M35A2C, I usually had it loaded as well.

I will also admit that I tend to run about 50% used motor oil in everything until I get so far from home that I resort to pumping straight diesel into the tanks...