• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

4" vs. 6" lift on m1008 W/37" hummer tires

gungearz

Welcome to steel soldiers.... Most lilely, if you even think about putting 37" hummer rims and tires on a m1008. I could already hear a axel twisting and snapping. If your sure that those axels can handle any kind of offroad abuse, then the taller the lift the better you are. If your going to go with just the looks of it, then a 6" kit shluld do. With possible trimming of the fenders of course...

jimmy-90

Welcome to steel soldiers.... Most lilely, if you even think about putting 37" hummer rims and tires on a m1008. I could already hear a axel twisting and snapping. If your sure that those axels can handle any kind of offroad abuse, then the taller the lift the better you are. If your going to go with just the looks of it, then a 6" kit shluld do. With possible trimming of the fenders of course...
!!!! I don't think he will have any problem what so ever useing 37" tires on an M1008. It has a king pin dana60 front and a 14 bolt full floating rear. Alot of people run 18x44x16s on these types of axles with a much stronger motor than a 6.2L diesel without any problems. As far as lift I personally would go with 6" just because you are dealing with a full sized truck which has a pertty long wheel base. The extra couple inches of lift will enable it to roll over bigger bumps without high centering in the middle and getting stuck. Plus take it from me it's better to have plenty of clearence between the tire and the fender. I had a truck with tires on it that were kind of big for the amount of lift on it and they would rub the fenders once in a while. Eventually one of those front tires blew out because of that while I was going down the highway doing about 60.

ODdave

:cookoo: Axle shafts in a 1008 are ****near as big as in a deuce.

I have a feeling you where thinking about a 1009

Don't worry about axle strength. That folks with civilian trucks try very hard to duplicate these trucks! I would go with a 6" if you are worried about clearance at all. I chose a 4" lift using front springs and a rear shackle flip, then an extra inch by using zero rates for a 5" total. If you choose a shackle flip style lift for the rear you will want to add the zero rates to move the axle back an inch and a half as the shackle flip alone moves the rear wheel forward in the whereof opening.

Skinny

4" with minimal trimming is best

6" starts to get heavily into driveline vibes, bigger steering corrections (crossover steering becoming mandatory) raising COG for no reason

You would be far better to stay 2-4" with trimming and clocking the tcase up, you gain far more than just by lifting.

IdahoPlowboy

You must have no clue what differentials the 1008 has. Here is a clue, They are not 10 bolts.

flighht2k5

Banned
Don't worry about axle strength. That folks with civilian trucks try very hard to duplicate these trucks! I would go with a 6" if you are worried about clearance at all. I chose a 4" lift using front springs and a rear shackle flip, then an extra inch by using zero rates for a 5" total. If you choose a shackle flip style lift for the rear you will want to add the zero rates to move the axle back an inch and a half as the shackle flip alone moves the rear wheel forward in the whereof opening.
The new power wagon duplicates and surpasses these trucks.

Skinny

Dodge Power Wagon?

Great rig but not tough as nails. Between the stamped sheetmetal suspension parts and the fact that you can't get more than 30k from a wheel bearing, balljoint, TRE, or steering box, not surpassing a CUCV in the strength/reliabiltiy department.

Still a cool rig and I would rather own it than any other new fullsize.

True Knight

I have a 4" lift with 37x13.5's. A little fender trim and I was good to go. I highly recommend a cross-over steering set up no matter what lift you go with. Both look very good in my opinion.

Cons to the 4" lift:
-not as tall as 6"
-needs fender trimming

Cons to the 6" lift:
-taller than 4"
-driveshafts have to be corrected (might as well have them rebuilt while they are out)

I'm pretty sure you will be happy with either lift.

I had my shafts done about a year after putting on the 4" lift. The only reason they had to be changed was due to the 4L80 trans i was installing.

Last edited:
Most folks trim their fenders only as a last resort to use bigger tires. That's a good reason to go with a 6" Just my opinion though.. With my 5" lift I did not have to do anything with the drive shafts, even when moving the axles. I did not have to shim anything or change angles and there is less vibration than there was at stock ride height. I'm very happy with the results.

Last edited:

patracy

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
Wow, please know what you're talking about before you post.

You'll be fine on 37's. Especially with the "puny" 6.2's output. The M1008 has a dana 60 front and 14 bolt rear. You won't break them.

6" without fender trimming.
4" with fender trimming.

flighht2k5

Banned
Dodge Power Wagon?

Great rig but not tough as nails. Between the stamped sheetmetal suspension parts and the fact that you can't get more than 30k from a wheel bearing, balljoint, TRE, or steering box, not surpassing a CUCV in the strength/reliabiltiy department.

Still a cool rig and I would rather own it than any other new fullsize.
Ok dude.

steved454

I did a 4 1/2 inch re arching of the springs with a ad- a- leaf, with 37 inch Hummer tires. I did have to do minor trimming but love the way it turned out. I am 6'5 and have no trouble getting in it. The ride is fine once I warm up the tire. As others have said the higher you go past 4 inchs the more you drive shafts get out of line with you Transmission. Alot of people have 6 inch lifts though so it is just my 2 cents.

KAISERM715

I did a 4 1/2 inch re arching of the springs with a ad- a- leaf, with 37 inch Hummer tires. I did have to do minor trimming but love the way it turned out. I am 6'5 and have no trouble getting in it. The ride is fine once I warm up the tire. As others have said the higher you go past 4 inchs the more you drive shafts get out of line with you Transmission. Alot of people have 6 inch lifts though so it is just my 2 cents.
Thought the 37's were radials??

victor3ranger

4" with minimal trimming is best

6" starts to get heavily into driveline vibes, bigger steering corrections (crossover steering becoming mandatory) raising COG for no reason

You would be far better to stay 2-4" with trimming and clocking the tcase up, you gain far more than just by lifting.
This, mine has the 37" tires and 6". I think I would be much happier with the 4" and trimming.

victor3ranger

Did you use factory springs or aftermarket springs??

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks