• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

4 wheel drive not engaging

SmokeyBobber

soo i have a 1970 m35a2 with 46s on it. i was wheeling it the other day in 4wheel drive in 2nd gear and no problems until i disengaged it then reengaged the 4 wheel drive and it would not engage. The front driveshaft is spinning though. On another note i have no brakes but i havnt had brakes for a couple weeks now. i got a new master cylinder and still need to install it. i dont know if this anything to do with it. Plzzzzz HELP!

my number is 609-668-2847(dan) if anyone can help

BugEyeBear

you have been driving with no brakes....... come on man 14k and no brakes.... not a good idea...
:ditto:

I can almost understand someone "limping home" a short distance with a brake system that has just recently failed.

But I can't understand why anyone would knowingly go out driving or "wheeling" with no brakes! :cookoo:

Your life, and the lives of those in your path are more valuable than your right to go play with an unsafe vehicle! I can only hope that you only injure yourself when something unexpected happens & you can't stop your truck!

I guess Darwin was right!

"Here's Your Sign!"

stumps

My bobcat never had brakes from the day it was made. My farm tractor's and backhoe's brakes have always been more of a suggestion than a reality... they work as long as you don't -really- need to stop, and aren't going down hill. If you are out in the middle of nowhere, running in a really low gear, and there is nothing to hit, brakes aren't all that necessary.

-Chuck

stumps

That's a lot of "IF"s.....
Of course, and they had all better be true IF you are going to run around without brakes!

My backhoe weighs more than an empty deuce, and it has manual brakes on the rear wheels only. My tractor has manual brakes on the rear wheels only too. My bobcat and backhoe have a very effective emergency braking system... the bucket!
My tractor's emergency braking system is to turn the throttle down, or steer up hill.... It is optional whether you want to stand on the brake pedal, or not.

It would be nice if all three had good effective brakes, but I haven't needed brakes enough to waste time trying to make them work better than the original design did. I gotta whole lot of nowhere around me.

-Chuck

WillWagner

The Person You Were Warned About As A Child
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Sprag or air shift?? Could it be possible that with the big tires the slpines got sheared in a drive flange?

jwaller

Holy Cow. After all the preaching on here about how important brakes are on these trucks. Simply amazing. It's not like this wouldn't be common sence to ANYBODY on the face of this planet.

It is because of people like you we have to be told how to put on a seatbelt when boarding an airplane.

:shock: :confused: aua :rolleyes:

PS. as much as I'd like to help you with your 4wd problem. I'm not because you need to fix the BRAKES first, then we can talk.

BugEyeBear

BACK TO THE ORIGINAL QUESTION>>>>>>>>>>>>

Sounds like your issue is in the xfercase.

IF it is air operated, the air actuation system could have an issue.

If it is a sprag, the clutches could be bad.

Tell us which system you have & I'm sure we will follow with suggestions to diagnose & fix!

& regarding the "no brakes" issue, let's all just assume that you were out testing the front axle engagement when the brakes failed & move on...
(As you can see most of us are pretty wound up when it comes to discussing safety related issues, especially the brakes. No sense beating that dead horse anymore here in this thread!) :deadhorse:

mudguppy

yes - we need to punish him profusely by with-holding information!!!

get Mr. No-Brakey-Brakerton!!!! LET HIM HAVE IT!!! er... i mean, DON'T LET HIM HAVE IT!!!!

tm america

aww come on guy give him a brake .brakes are optional thats what bumpers are for :roll: thats why you get pulled over for bumper height but not for pedal height:?:hey next time you take that truck out without brakes let me know so i can make sure i'm not in that state.wooowwwwwwwwauajust wow well i hope you get that all wheel drive fixed so you can get stuck on top of some poor soccer moms mini van instead of being stuck in the mud. i know we are giving you a hard time but just take a minute to read what you posted and think about it for a little bit